Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


31 January 2013

Defender's brace sees Canaries progress in FA Youth Cup

HARRY Toffolo was the two-goal hero as Norwich City Under-18s progressed to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-1 win over their Millwall counterparts at Carrow Road this evening.  

A keenly contested first half saw clear-cut chances at a premium in the initial stages but it was City who came close to an early lead when Joshua Murphy’s 12th minute free-kick caught the head of Millwall’s Khari Oriogun and cannoned off the crossbar for the game’s first corner.

As the half progressed it was the home side that began to see more and more of the ball and they took a deserved lead through Toffolo after 28 minutes. The City defender headed home after Joshua Murphy’s corner was headed into his path by fellow defender Kyle Callan-McFadden.

City almost doubled their lead on 34 minutes when a fine solo run from Jacob Murphy hit the post and ran along the line before the young Lions cleared the danger. 

Millwall levelled in first-half injury when striker Jason Twum wriggled away from the attention of Callan-McFadden and sent a low shot into the bottom right-hand corner of the City net and beyond the reach of ‘keeper Will Britt.

Half-time: Norwich City U18s 1, Millwall U18s 1

The visitors started the brighter of the two teams after the break and forced a number of corners before City regained the lead on 59 minutes. Once again it was Joshua Murphy the provider with a cross from the left and Toffolo was on hand to head home his and City’s second goal of the game.

City made their first change of the evening on 77 minutes when Rod Young replaced Cameron King.

Millwall went in search of an equaliser and looked to have come close when Conor Wilkinson sent a header across the face of goal after challenging Britt for a looped ball forward – a challenge that was later deemed a foul by referee Young.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes City came close to a third goal when Reece Hall-Johnson saw a fierce free-kick fly just inches over the bar.

The victory will see City face Birmingham City at Carrow Road in the next round, after the Blues beat Bristol Rovers 1-0 in their fourth round tie.

Full-time: Norwich City U18s 2, Millwall U18s 1

City: Britt, Norman, Wyatt, McGeehan, Callan-McFadden, Toffolo, Jacob Murphy, Hall-Johnson, Morris, King (Young 77), Joshua Murphy Subs not used: Lokko, Swatman (GK) Carroll, Randall

Millwall: Wellham, Webb, Hunter, McManus, Nelson, De Havilland, Callaghan (C Thompson 85), Oriogun, Twum, Wilkinson, Guinchard (Thongvivat 73) Subs not used: Danquah, Beadle (GK), B. Thompson,

Referee: Mr A Young


Attendance: 277


Picture courtesy of Eastern Daily Press

Advertisement block