Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 April 2014

City score five at Carrow Road

CITY'S Under-21s ran out impressive 5-1 winners over Bolton Wanderers at Carrow Road as they looked to qualify for next season's newly-formed top division of the U21 Premier League.

A brace from Carlton Morris and strikes from Elliott Bennett, Luciano Becchio and Cameron Norman saw them overcome a 5th minute opener from the visitors.

In what had been a busy week at Carrow Road - Professional Development Coach Jerry Gill took the team with Under-21s boss Mark Robson in London to assist new first team manager Neil Adams ahead of the senior game away to Fulham.

Bennett and Becchio were named as senior inclusions in the game and both played the full 90 minutes. Bennett having just returned to action a week earlier after eight months out with a cruciate knee injury, playing 68 minutes in the 4-1 defeat at Anfield.

The Canaries won a free-kick in the opening two minutes after Reece Hall-Johnson was fouled 25 yards out - Ray Grant stepping up and placing an effort just on the roof of the net.

However, it was The Trotters who took the lead on 5 minutes, Zach Clough intercepting the ball on the left and running in on goal to slot the ball into the corner as Remi Matthews had rushed out to narrow his angle. And just two minutes later it was Clough again who was the danger man, this time placing a shot just wide of the post.

But City were back in the game and ahead within two minutes - two goals from Carlton Morris putting the Canaries back into the driving seat. Firstly the youngster curling a Becchio pass into the top right-hand corner and then heading home a cross from the right past former Canary Arran Lee-Barrett in goal.

The Canaries were enjoying a good spell of possession, although Bolton remained a threat - Remi Matthews forced to block a shot from Hayden White as he looked to force his way through in to the six yard box. His team-mate Andy Kellett then went close again for the visitors placing his effort just past the post after a purposeful run.

Bennett then responded for the hosts with a powerful drive from distance which Lee-Barrett did well to get down to to push away. Hall-Johnson then forced the Bolton goalkeeper into another save to keep his side in the game.

But four minutes before the break City had extended their lead - Elliott Bennett placing a fierce drive into the far corner to make it 3-1 from the edge of the area.

Half-time: Norwich City 3, Bolton Wanderers 1

Both teams were unchanged at the break.

Bolton came out of the blocks well Chris Lester hitting the side netting after making a break down the right in the opening few minutes.

Then on 52 minutes looking for his hat-trick Morris had a shot tipped onto the bar after connecting well with a Reiss Awuah cross.

On the hour the Canaries extended their lead after some good approach work on the right, Cameron Norman slotted through a pass for Luciano Becchio to slide home at the far post for the Canaries fourth of the night.

And just two minutes later it was 5-1 after a screamer from Norman who was at least 25 yards out giving Lee-Barrett no chance.

Remi Matthews had to be on his toes when an Adel Gafaiti clearance rebounded off a Bolton forward forcing the City keeper to double-back and tip the ball over the bar to concede a corner.

Norwich continued to threaten and Carlton Morris stung the hands of Lee-Barrett again with 10 minutes of the match remaining as he looked for his third of the night.

Full-time: Norwich City 5, Norwich City 1

Norwich City: Matthews, McNeil, Awuah, Grant, McFadden (c), Gafaiti, Bennett, Norman (Randall 88), Becchio, Hall-Johnson (Byrne-Hewitt 74), Morris (Hodd 85). Subs not used: Killip, Lokko.

Bolton Wanderers: Lee-Barrett, Maher, Kellett, Threlkeld (c), Holding, Woodland (Walker 70), Lester, White, Iliev, Clough (Thomas 66), Youngs (Wickinson 63). Subs not used: Campbell, Bastos.

Advertisement block