Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

14 July 2019 Venue Energieversum Stadion, Gütersloh Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

DSC Arminia Bielefeld
2 - 2
Norwich City

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Norwich City draw 2-2 with Arminia Bielefeld in pre-season opener

14 July 2019

Norwich City began their pre-season tour of Germany with a 2-2 draw with 2.Bundesliga side Arminia Bielefeld in Gütersloh.

A hectic first-half saw three goals, two unfortunate injuries sustained by City players and a red card.

City led 2-1 at the break after goals from Dennis Srbeny and Josip Drmic on debut had cancelled our Reinhold Yabo's opener. Sadly for City, Louis Thompson and Ben Godfrey both had to come off with injury.

A relatively quiet second half followed but Bielefeld earned a share of the spoils when Jomaine Consbruch curled into the top corner with just minutes left.

City began well and summer signing Drmic was already in the thick of action after Srbeny won the ball back in the offensive third. The Swiss striker tried to bend the ball into the far corner but Bielefeld goalkeeper Ortega was equal to the strike.

The early minutes were certainly competitive, with the referee brandishing bookings to both Ben Godfrey and Joan Simun Edmundsson of Bielefeld.

After initially starting on the backfoot, Bielefeld began to threaten. On 18 minutes, Voglsammer burst down the left flank and cut inside but his effort was beaten away by Fährmann.

Shortly after Thompson was withdrawn for City for Aarons, looking like he had picked up an injury, Roberts showed his skill in the final third, cutting inside and just lifting his left-footed strike over the bar.

The injuries worries began to mount for City after Godfrey was withdrawn minutes later after failing to recover from an earlier knock. He was replaced by Heise.

Bielefeld took the lead on the hour mark after a misplaced pass was picked up by Klos. With City outnumbered, the ball was moved to Voglsammer who found Yabo in the area and he dispatched past Fährmann.

Bielefeld were then reduced to ten men when Edmundsson was shown a second booking for a foul on Buendia and City instantly capitalised when Srbeny curled the ball into the far corner.

City then took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Bielefeld were penalised for a handball in the area. Up stepped Drmic to grab a debut goal from the spot.

Bielefeld almost equalised just moments after the break when the tall Klos rose highest to nod a corner towards goal but he was thwarted by a firm Krul save.

Action in either box was scarce in the second-half but City went close to adding to their advantage when Stiepermann moved the ball to Hernandez in the area, however his cross-cum-shot evaded Pukki at the back post.

However, Bielefeld equalised with just minutes left when sub Consburch curled into the top corner from just inside the area.                                                                                    

City had chances to regain the lead when Stiepermann diverted Hernandez’s cross towards goal but the ‘keeper made a smart save low to his left. Then, Hernandez shot wide from the edge and Pukki hit the post in stoppage time.

City: Fährmann (Krul, 46), Thompson (Aarons, 19), Godfrey (Heise, 24), Hanley, Lewis, Leitner (Trybull, 46), McLean, Buendia (Idah, 75), Roberts (Hernandez, 46), Srbeny (Stiepermann, 46), Drmic (Pukki, 46)

Subs: Krul, Aarons, Hernandez, Heise, Stiepermann, Trybull, Pukki, Idah.

Goals: Srbeny, Drmic (pen)

Bielefeld: Ortega; Clauss, Behrendt, Salger, Hartherz; Prietl; Edmundsson, Yabo; Staude, Klos, Voglsammer.

Subs: Pieper, Nilsson, Schutz, Kunze, Owosu, Seufert, Lucoqui, Consburch, Klewin

Advertisement block

Advertisement block