Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 August 2012

Young Canaries denied win by late Bolton leveller

NORWICH City’s under-18s were denied their first win of the season against Bolton after a last-gasp equaliser at Colney on Saturday.

The Canaries controlled most of the game, and despite going behind to a Zach Clough goal in the first half, they hit back after the break with a Rian Carroll brace to take a 2-1 lead.

However with just a minute to go, Clough struck again to deny the Canaries a well-deserved victory.

Manager Neil Adams told “I was really pleased with the performance. We’re playing the game the way we want, and I think anybody who saw the game today will see what we’re trying to achieve with the players we’ve got.

“I thought the players took on board the coaching advice that they had, meaning we kept the ball and dominated possession. We caused big problems for a Bolton side that beat Arsenal 5-1 last week.

“There are a lot of positives to take, and we’re obviously disappointed to concede another late goal after doing the same against Blackburn last week, but it terms of performance, I’m pleased with the way the lads applied themselves today.

“It’s all about developing these lads, and that way if they’re required to join the under-21s development squad, then they are ready, and from what we’ve seen in these first two league games, we’re playing the right way.”

Captained by midfielder Cameron McGeehan, the Canaries started the game brightly, restricting Bolton to several half chances, and came close to opening the scoring themselves, had the Bolton ‘keeper not got hands to Kyle McFadden’s powerful free-kick on the 20 minute mark.

Three minutes later both Carlton Morris and Kevin Lokko had headers cleared off the line from McGeehan’s deep free-kick, but all their good work was to be undone as Wanderers snatched a 31st minute lead.

A Bolton winger fired in a low cross from the right, which after some hesitation in defence reached Clough at the far post. He tried to roll the ball over the line, and although Remi Matthews managed to collect the ball, it was deemed to have crossed the line and a goal was given.

City responded to the setback well, with Rhys Browne and McGeehan both going close, but they were unable to claw a goal back before the break.

Norwich City U18s 0, Bolton Wanderers U18s 1

The second half couldn’t have started any better for the Canaries, who attacked from the off, and within a minute they were level as midfielder Carroll burst into the box to side foot home a cross from the left wing.

Ten minutes later City were aggrieved not to be ahead through big striker Morris, who held off a Bolton defender before chipping the ball over the ‘keeper, only to see his strike disallowed for an alleged shirt-pull.

Adams’ side were using the ball well, and their reward finally came in the 71st minute.

It was City midfielder Carroll that was again on hand to score his second of the match – his right footed effort from just inside the area taking a wicked deflection off a Bolton man to find the net.

The Canaries were looking comfortable in the game until a late spell of Bolton pressure near the end of the match.

A long throw from the right hand side fell to Clough in the area, who struck a first time shot past Matthews – the ‘keeper helpless to stop the powerful effort as City were forced to settle for a point at Colney.

Norwich City U18s 2, Bolton Wanderers U18s 2

Matthews, Wyatt, Lokko, McFadden, Norman, Hodd, Carroll, McGeehan, Easton-Collins, Browne, Morris
SUBS: Efete, Gill, Grant, Simpson

Advertisement block