Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 September 2012

Canaries beaten 3-2 at Colney

NORWICH City’s under-18s fell to a 3-2 defeat at home to West Ham on Saturday despite a sensational second half display which saw them come close to snatching a point from 3-0 down.

First-year scholars Cameron Norman and Carlton Morris were on the score-sheet for the Canaries after the break, but individual errors had cost City in the first half, as they went into the break three down. 

Afterwards, Manager Neil Adams said; “The three goals that West Ham scored were all entirely preventable and virtually their only shots on target, and I had to remind some of the players at half-time that you simply cannot expect to not be punished if you don’t play with as high a tempo as possible right from the start.

“We were excellent in every aspect of the game in the second half, but that first half performance cost us dearly and is something that we have to address.”

After a superb victory away at West Brom last week, City got off to a nightmare start when on five minutes, confusion in the defence allowed Taylor Miles to nip in and fire past Remi Matthews.

It was 2-0 just minutes later as another error gifted Nana Boakye Yiadom a chance to double the lead – which he duly took.

The third came shortly before half time when West Ham’s Manny Onariase shot home form a corner to leave the Canaries with a huge task on their hands to rescue something from the game.

HALF-TIME: Norwich City U18s 0, West Ham U18s 3

The second half couldn’t have been any more different to the first, as Adams’ side dominated it from start to finish.

Cameron Norman cut the deficit to two early in the half with an impressive effort into the far right corner of the net after cutting inside from the right wing.

After a couple of changes City continued to pile on the pressure, with striker Carlton Morris firing over after a nice cross from full-back Norman.

Then substitute Jamie Eaton-Collins’ effort cannoed back off the post for City, whilst at the other end Matthews pulled off a stunning penalty save to keep the Canaries in the hunt.

Late into the match City made it 2-3 through Morris, whose glancing header from a free kick sailed into the net, but it wasn’t enough as the Hammers held on for the victory.

FULL-TIME: Norwich City U18s 2, West Ham U18s 3

CITY: Matthews, Norman, Wyatt, Hodd (Grant 55), McFadden, Lokko, Hall-Johnson, Carroll (Simpson 85), Morris, Browne, St Louis (Eaton-Collins 45)
SUBS NOT USED: Gill Burgess

WEST HAM: Baxter, Alaxander, Shaw, Cullen, Hasha (Harvety 60), Onariase, Bywater, Miles (Knoyle 85), Boakye Yaidom, Sadler, Mavilla
SUBS NOT USED: Howes, Gogo, Makasi

Image kindly provided by John Landamore

Advertisement block