Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 January 2013


TWO first half goals ultimately saw West Ham past the Canaries, a Russell Martin strike proving only a consolation in a frustrating 2-1 New Year's Day defeat at the Boleyn Ground.

The Hammers were ahead after only three minutes after referee Mark Clattenburg awarded them a penalty - adjudging Ryan Bennett impeded Winston Reid from jumping for the ball in the penalty area. Captain Mark Noble stepped up and converted the spot kick to put the hosts in the driving seat - creating opportunities for Carlton Cole and Matt Taylor, before they extended their advantage after 26 minutes through Joey O'Brien.

City may have been awarded a penalty themselves - Reid looking to have handled the ball under pressure from Sebastien Bassong - but it was not given and with Robert Snodgrass seeing a free-kick hit the base of the post, it stayed 2-0 at the break.

The Canaries came out for the second half with more purpose and again had another penalty shout turned down after Harry Kane was grounded after getting goalside of James Tomkins. And it wasn't until the 89th minute that they registered, Martin scoring his third goal in two games after connecting well with substitute Elliott Bennett's cross. But unfortunately City couldn't find the equaliser to end a disappointing run of festive games.

Hughton made three changes to his starting line-up from Saturday's 4-3 defeat to Manchester City. Both Grant Holt and Steve Morison were missing through injuring meaning that on-loan Spurs striker Harry Kane's first league start having come on as a substitute against the English Champions.

Javier Garrido was also a surprise name missing from the team-sheet, Ryan Bennett coming into defence at right-back with Russell Martin replacing the Spaniard on the left.

Having impressed as a second-half substitute against Man City Jonny Howson was named in midfield in place of the suspended Bradley Johnson.

The Hammers were also forced into some changes after their 1-0 defeat to Reading last time out - both James Collins and Kevin Nolan suspended and Mohamed Diame and Andy Carroll still out injured.

City were dealt a blow in the opening two minutes of the game when referee Mark Clattenberg awarded West Ham a penalty. Ryan Bennett was adjudged to have fouled Winston Reid as both players were fighting for possession in the box - a controversial decision, which saw Mark Noble step up and convert the spot kick for 1-0.

On 13 minutes Carlton Cole turned and had a drive but Mark Bunn in the City goal was aware and made a comfortable catch.

In the 20th minute City were awarded a free-kick as a West Ham hand prevented City advancing forward. Snodgrass took the set-piece and struck the foot of the post with Jaaskelainen stranded. The ball was worked back in and Reid looked to handle the ball as Bassong looked to work himself a shot. West Ham could ony clear to the edge of te box ad Pilkington had an effort which only just whizzed past the post.

Bunn made a great one-handed save from Jack Collison on 24 minutes.

But unfortunately he was unable to prevent the Hammers taking a 2-0 lead a minute later - Mark Noble dribbled into the area and found Joey O'Brien who slotted the ball home.

Just after the half hour a short corner was worked out for Matt Taylor to have shot from just outside the area - Bunn forced to tip his effort over the bar.

It should have been 3-0 to the hosts after 36 minutes, Carlton Cole blazing over Guy Demel's low cross into the six yard box. 

This was certainly West Ham's half with City unable to create any signicant openings the Hammers went into the break with a two-goal advantage.

Half-time: West Ham United 2, Norwich City 0

Both sides were unchanged for the second half. 

The Canaries won a free-kick far right in the opening two minutes  - O'Brien blocking Snodrass' run - but the Scot's delivery found his team-mates in an offside position.

On 51 minutes Hoolahan played in Kane who got goalside of James Tomkins and the young striker went down under his challenge but the referee deemed no foul and waved away any City appeals for a penalty.

It was a brighter performance from the visitors - Pilkington looked to be through on goal but was deemed offside as he struck a shot.

Carlton Cole headed the ball across the face of the goal from a Noble corner but under pressure at the far post Martin did well to escort the ball out for a goal kick.

Vaz Te saw a header glance off the side of the far post and out for a goal kick.

A double change for the Canaries came with 20 minutes to play Simeon Jackson and Elliott Bennett replacing Kane and Hoolahan respectively. For The Hammers O'Brien was replaced by Gary O'Neil. 

Jaaskelianen made a comfortable low save to deny Snodgrass who had cut inside.

Sam Allardyce made his second substitution of the game Vaz Te being replaced by Modibo Maiga. Which was swiftly followed by City's final switch David Fox coming on for Howson who had picked up a knock.

A final change came for the Hammers, Jordan Spence coming on for Jarvis.

City did get a goal back with a minute left Russell Martin with his third goal in two games - the Canaries' defender getting in front of his marker to meet Elliott Bennett's cross from the right.

And although City did push forward, their goal only proved a consolation as West Ham saw out the three minutes of additional time to secure the win.
Final score: West Ham United 2, Norwich City 1
WEST HAM: Jaaskelainen, Reid, Tomkins, Jarvis (Spence 85), Cole, Collison, Vaz Te (Maiga 83), Taylor, Noble (c), O'Brien (O'Neil 71), Dismel. Subs not used: Darra, Spiegel, Lletget, Lee

NORWICH CITY: Bunn, Martin (c), Bassong, Turner, Snodgrass, Howson (Fox 83), Pilkington, Hoolahan (E. Bennett 70), R. Bennett, Tettey, Kane (Jackson 70). Subs not used: Rudd, Barnett, Tierney, Smith.

Advertisement block