Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 May 2013

Under-18s lift the Youth Cup after a 4-2 aggregate win over Chelsea

NORWICH CITY's Under-18s wrote themselves into the history books with a magnificent 3-2 victory over Chelsea to win the FA Youth Cup 4-2 on aggregate on Monday night.


Neil Adams' side matched the success of Dave Stringer's youngsters from 30 years ago to lift the trophy on a glorious night at Stamford Bridge.


Goals from Cameron McGeehan and Josh Murphy, plus a Adam Nditi own goal, proved enough on the night despite a Jeremie Boga brace for the hosts.


Skipper McGeehan, who was released by the Blues before joining City, had a moment to savour as he lifted the trophy in front of an incredible City supporter following of close to 3000.


The triumph caps a remarkable 48 hours for the Club after the first team secured their Premier League status with Sunday's 4-0 thrashing of West Bromwich Albion.


The young Canaries were unchanged from the first leg where they had claimed a 1-0 lead through McGeehan's injury-time penalty kick.


Chelsea had an early chance in the fourth minute through Islam Feruz but City 'keeper Will Britt claimed his low shot well under pressure from Ruben Loftus Cheek.


They were starting to dominate possession with City finding it difficult to get out of their own half, and on 15 minutes the hosts took the lead through the direct run and shot of Jeremie Boga

to make it 1-1 on aggregate.


Chelsea were playing with confidence and two minutes later Boga managed to get in behind the Canaries again - but his shot was cleared to Swift who was in an offside



But on 21 minutes City got themselves forward and Carlton Morris did well to earn his side a corner. It was played short and Josh Murphy cut inside and placed a cross which deflected off Nditi and

past his goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney to equalise on the night and to get the Canaries back into the game. 


Chelsea remained dangerous and Will Britt was called upon to make a fine save from a Lewis Baker free-kick. Feruz then dragged a shot just past the far post to give City a scare.


But the goal had renewed City's confidence and Jacob Murphy was denied on 34 minutes with a goal-line clearance from a well-placed Baker with his 'keeper beaten.


But two minutes later the Canaries did go ahead when Carlton Morris stepped inside the area from the left and Alex Davey clipped him, resulting in referee Neil Swarbrick awarding the visitors a

penalty kick.


First leg spot-kick hero Cameron McGeehan stepped up again and sent a low effort past Beeney to make it 2-1 on the night and 3-1 to City on aggregate.


Chelsea remained dangerous and went close with Loftus Cheek connecting with a couple of Boga corners which sailed just over Britt's crossbar, but City remained firm and went into the break with

their lead intact.


Half-time: Chelsea 1-2 Norwich City (1-3)


It was a bright start from City with the Murphy's showing good pace and getting down the channels and testing the Chelsea defence.


The Blues went close five minutes into the second half through their captain Baker but thankfully he dragged his shot across the goal.


The hosts were starting to dominate possession and City were working very hard to repell their threat - Feruz missed a glorious chance to put Chelsea back in the game on 61 minutes, doing well to get in behind the Canaries and past Britt but the City defenders got back behind the ball and under pressure he placed his shot wide of the target.


On 67 minutes Norman released Jacob Murphy in the area but the forward's shot blasted wide. He then went close again latching on to a long forward ball and forcing the Chelsea defence into conceding a corner.


McGeehan received a yellow card with 20 minutes to play deep in his own half, but Baker's free-kick saw an infringement in the area and a free-kick to City.


The Canaries were continuing to thwart their opponents and then on the break City added to their lead on 71 minutes. Cameron King found Jacob Murphy on the left and he placed a cross for his brother Josh to stab home to give City a 3-1 lead on the night, now 4-1 on aggregate.


With Chelsea pushing forward City were getting more chances on the break and only a great challenge by Chelsea substitute Charly Musonda denied Jacob Murphy.


On 87 minutes The Blues managed to pull one back through Boga to give them some hope, but the Canaries held out strongly and brought the cup home.


FULL-TIME: Chelsea 2-3 Norwich City (2-4)


CHELSEA: Beeney, Aina (Musonda 72), Davey, Christensen, Nditi (Wright 69), Baker (c), Swift (Colkett 63), Loftus Cheek, Feruz, Boga, Kiwomya. Subs not used: Conroy, Killip.


CITY: Britt, Norman, Wyatt, McGeehan, McFadden, Toffolo, Josh Murphy, Randall (Hodd 90), Morris, King (Young 81), Murphy. Subs not used: Lokko, Reading (GK), Young, Brown.

Advertisement block