Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Nottingham Forest v Norwich City

8 November 2014


NOTTINGHAM Forest scored twice in the final moments of the game to dramatically steal victory from Norwich City's grasp and win 2-1 at the City Ground.

Michail Antonio's decider deep into stoppage time stunned the Canaries, a cruel blow after Britt Assombalonga had levelled the game with five minutes left on the clock.

The hosts had steadily worked their way back into the game after Norwich had dominated the first 45 and taken the lead through Jonny Howson.

Eventual defeat means, however, that City now have only one win in their last seven league matches and stretched their gap to the Sky Bet Championship play-off places.

Neil Adams made three changes to his Norwich City team after Tuesday's humbling 4-0 defeat at Middlesbrough, with Carlos Cuellar making his first league appearance for the Club.

Bradley Johnson and Lewis Grabban also returned to the starting line-up, with Steven Whittaker, Kyle Lafferty and Nathan Redmond dropping to the substitutes' bench.

The opening stages of the game were defined by a high tempo, with neither side able to get on top of the other and it took until the 11th minute for the first chance.

A swift Forest move led to Thomas Ince, on loan from Hull City, being picked out at the back post, and he whipped a left-footed shot that flew narrowly over John Ruddy's bar.

Yet five minutes later, with their first incisive move in Forest's defensive third, Norwich took the lead as Howson bagged his first of the season in stylish fashion.

Some fast football down the right side culminated in Howson making the advance into the area, and he beat two players before picking out the far corner.

That preceded a dominant spell for the Canaries of high pressure and confident interchange, and they could have gone further ahead on 27 minutes.

Russell Martin, who Adams moved to right-back for this match, curled a cross in that Grabban met with a firm header, but it flashed just wide.

The contest evened out, but Forest's closest effort came through Britt Assombalonga's 30-yard free-kick, but Ruddy was still able to see it comfortably over his bar.

HALF-TIME: Nottingham Forest 0-1 Norwich City

Jamie Paterson replaced Ince at half-time for the Reds but City resumed on top and Darlow had to produce a strong hand to deny Grabban at his near post after Howson and O'Neil's interplay.

Grabban then twisted and turned from Howson's long pass to set up another effort before up the other end, Cameron Jerome did some fine defensive work to block a shot in a scramble in City's area.

Michail Antonio fired over from range for Forest but City were standing tall as the half wore on, and Stuart Pearce had made all three of his allotted changes by the 66th minute.

Assombalonga nodded wide from Antonio's cross as they endeavoured to get the leveller, yet Norwich were defending with organisation at their deliveries from wide.

That was until five minutes from time, when the home team scored through top scorer Assombalonga.

The former Watford and Peterborough striker tapped in after Matty Fryatt had worked his way into the box and provided the square ball.

Then, three minutes into stoppage time, Forest broke from a Canaries attack, setting Antonio free down the right, and he advanced to power the winner into the net.

FULL-TIME: Nottingham Forest 2-1 Norwich City

GOALS: Reds: Britt Assombalonga (85), Michail Antonio (90+3) - Canaries: Jonny Howson (16)

NOTTINGHAM FOREST: Darlow; Hunt (Lichaj 66), Mancienne (c), Lascelles, Harding (Lansbury 66); Antonio, Tesche, Osborn, Ince (Paterson 45); Assombalonga, Fryatt. Subs not used: De Vries (GK), Collins, Blackstock, Burke.

NORWICH CITY: Ruddy; Martin (c), Cuellar, Turner, Olsson; O'Neil, Tettey, Johnson; Howson; Grabban, Jerome (Lafferty 75). Subs not used: Rudd (GK), Whittaker, Hooper, Hooiveld, Josh Murphy, Redmond.

REFEREE: Mr A Madley


Brighton - Saturday 22 November - 3pm

Advertisement block