Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Norwich City v Birmingham City

20 September 2014


NORWICH City came from two goals down to earn a 2-2 draw against Birmingham City at Carrow Road.

Cameron Jerome scored twice in three second half minutes to spark hopes of another fightback victory but this time Neil Adams' side had to settle for a point.

Callum Reilly and Demarai Gray had given the visitors a surprise cushion at the break with first half goals.

The draw means City are still unbeaten since the opening day of the campaign, with the Capital One Cup tie at Shrewsbury Town to come on Tuesday.

Adams made one change to his team before kick-off, with Russell Martin recovering sufficiently from a back strain to replace Steven Whittaker at right-back.

Nathan Redmond and Cameron Jerome started against their former club, who made three changes from their midweek 2-0 reverse to Sheffield Wednesday. Former Canaries loanee Jonathan Grounds started at left-back.

Norwich started the game on the front foot, with Jerome forcing a corner after just 10 seconds, and Lewis Grabban had their first clear opportunity on six minutes when he volleyed Martin's cross over the bar.

Against the run of play, however, the visitors took the lead in sloppy circumstances from City's point of view - Reilly was slow to be closed down as he struck a speculative effort, which deflected and slipped out of John Ruddy's grasp, trickling into the bottom corner.

The goal took the fluidity out of the Canaries' play and Birmingham had appeals for a penalty rejected when Clayton Donaldson and Martin collided in the box.

Lewis Grabban saw two efforts in quick succession kept out; first by a David Edgar block and then a Darren Randolph save, before Redmond, lively against his old employers, forced a one-handed stop from the Birmingham 'keeper.

A counter-attack from the Blues brought their second goal on 41 minutes, with Edgar winning a tussle with Jos Hooiveld on the edge of the box before picking out Gray, who curled a fine shot beyond the outstretched Ruddy.

After Grounds came close to adding a third with a header, Norwich had a strong penalty appeal turned down in stoppage time when the same player appeared the nudge the ball onto his arm inside his own area.

HALF-TIME: Norwich City 0-2 Birmingham City

Josh Murphy replaced Wes Hoolahan for the second half, and City got the goal and offered them a way back into the game on 52 minutes.

Martin played a low cross to the edge of the six-yard box, where Jerome was waiting to strike first time, finding the bottom left corner.

Then, just three minutes later, Redmond chipped a cross towards the in-form striker, and he rose above Paul Robinson, his header looping beyond Randolph and in.

Ruddy then produced an excellent save from Donaldson's free header after Cotterill's cross, before City resumed attacking duties with Grabban and Murphy seeing efforts blocked.

They continued as the side most likely to snatch a winner, with Hooiveld meeting Murphy's cross, only to see his header flash wide.

The Dutch defender then saw two further headers fly over the bar, and despite City's best endeavours, this time they couldn't strike the winner.

FULL-TIME: Norwich City 2-2 Birmingham City

GOALS: Canaries: Cameron Jerome (52, 55) - Blues: Callum Reilly (8), Demarai Gray (41)

NORWICH CITY: Ruddy; Martin (c), Turner, Hooiveld, Olsson; Redmond, Tettey, Johnson, Hoolahan (Josh Murphy 45); Jerome, Grabban (Lafferty 78). Subs not used: Rudd (GK), Whittaker, E Bennett, O'Neil, Odjidja.

BIRMINGHAM CITY: Randolph; Spector, Edgar, Robinson (c) (Gleeson 61), Grounds; David, Reilly, Caddis; Cotterill, Donaldson, Gray (Shea 54). Subs not used: Doyle (GK), Duffy, Thomas, Packwood, Shinnie.

REFEREE: Mr D Sheldrake


Charlton Athletic, Tue 30 September – 19:45

Advertisement block