Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Norwich City v Charlton Athletic

30 September 2014


CHARLTON earned a smash-and-grab 1-0 win at Carrow Road to end the Canaries' eight-match unbeaten run in the Sky Bet Championship.

City dominated the contest, especially throughout the second half, but Johnnie Jackson's strike four minutes from the end secured all three points for the Addicks.

It was a hugely unfortunate outcome for Neil Adams side, who created numerous chances - the best coming through Lewis Grabban and Wes Hoolahan - and who had two appeals for a penalty rejected.

The Canaries ended the night still top of the Sky Bet Championship, however, and with the prospect of a chance to get back to winning ways at home to Rotherham United on Saturday.

Adams made one tactical switch from Saturday's win at Blackpool, with Steven Whittaker replacing Jos Hooiveld in the team, resulting in Russell Martin moving to partner Michael Turner in central defence.

Josh Murphy recovered sufficiently from his heel complaint to make the substitutes' bench, but Kyle Lafferty (sickness) missed out on a place in the matchday squad.

Charlton named former City defender Rhoys Wiggins in their starting eleven, while five-goal hotshot Igor Vetekele started as a lone front man.

The Canaries best opportunity of the first half came after just three minutes, with the roaming Wes Hoolahan threading a pass through to Lewis Grabban.

City's joint leading scorer saw his powerful hit beaten away by Stephen Henderson before firing wide from further out minutes later.

Half chances came for Charlton through skipper Johnnie Jackson and Vetokele, but their intentions to frustrate the Canaries attacking fluidity was clear.

It was working, with Adams' men struggling to link up quickly enough in key areas with the forward pair of Grabban and Cameron Jerome forced to drop deep for touches as the half progressed.

The pressure from the home team was building inside the last ten minutes, however, and they thought they had edged ahead four minutes before the break.

Martin was quickest onto a loose ball in the area after a corner, but as he stabbed it home Bradley Johnson was deemed to have fouled Henderson and the goal was disallowed.

HALF-TIME: Norwich City 0-0 Charlton Athletic

Two minutes into the second half, Henderson got down low to keep out Jerome's shot as City started where they left off; the side on the ascendancy.

Redmond's delivery was pinpoint minutes later but Jerome couldn't get enough on his header, before City had a clear penalty appeal rejected after the ball struck Andre Bikey-Amougou's arm.

By now the Canaries were well on top and the crowd in good voice, and they went close once again as Henderson parried Redmond's shot into the path of Hoolahan, whose own effort was bundled off the line.

Jerome nodded over while under pressure from Tal Ben Haim before some superb recovery work from Bikey-Amougou prevented Grabban testing Henderson from the left channel.

Adams introduced Josh Murphy and Jamar Loza, but then incredibly Charlton took the lead with just four minutes remaining from one of their rare attempts.

Jackson was afforded too much space from range and his effort deflected beyond Ruddy's outstretched arm and into the net.

City endeavoured to level the match in the closing stages but it was the visitors who extended their unbeaten start to the season with the victory.

FULL-TIME: Norwich City 0-1 Charlton Athletic

GOALS: Addicks: Johnnie Jackson (86)

NORWICH CITY: Ruddy; Whittaker, Martin (c), Turner, Olsson; Redmond, Tettey (Howson 83), Johnson, Hoolahan (Josh Murphy 84); Jerome, Grabban (Loza 84). Subs not used: Rudd (GK), Hooiveld, Garrido, O'Neil.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC: Henderson; Gomez (Moussa 71), Wiggins, Ben Haim, Bikey-Amougou; Wilson, Bulot (Ahearne-Grant 89), Buyens, Jackson (c), Cousins; Vetokele (Fox 90). Subs not used: Pope (GK), Morrison, Harriott, Munns.
REFEREE: Michael Russell


Rotherham - Carrow Road - Saturday 4 October, 3pm

Advertisement block