Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 April 2015

Strong Canaries held to draw at Carrow Road

CITY's Under-21s were forced to settle for a point after they were pegged back by Everton, who earned a 1-1 draw at Carrow Road.

Carlton Morris fired Paul Wilkinson's team into the lead and they went on to control the large majority of the contest.

The visitors got their reward for an improved spell in the second half, however, when defender Tyias Browning nodded home from a corner 12 minutes from time.

Elliott Bennett and Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe each played 90 minutes as they continued they recuperation from injury, with the former hitting the inside of the post with the Canaries' best chance aside from their goal.

Ryan Bennett also completed over an hour as the young yellows missed the opportunity to go top of Division One in the Barclays Under-21s Premier League, although they maintained their unbeaten home league record this season.

Soon after the game got underway, Odjidja showed good vision almost setting Morris free but Browning held his ground well and won back possession for the visitors.

Brendan Galloway went close to nodding into his own net from Elliott Bennett's cross before Browning got in the way of a Jamar Loza effort as City continued their bright start.

It was Loza's determination that created the opening for Morris to break the deadlock in the ninth minute.

The Jamaica international raced onto Emanuel Vasi's pass down the line and won the challenge with Browning, with the ball falling to Morris who stepped inside and finished via a deflection beyond Russell Griffiths.

Elliott Bennett had made a sharp start to the game and saw a long-range effort fly wide, but Everton almost caught City's defence out on 16 minutes.

Ryan Ledson's found David Henen's run in the right channel but luckily the forward flashed his shot beyond Remi Matthews' far post.

The contest balanced out, with Loza forcing the next save just before half hour mark, Griffiths getting down low to his right to keep out the striker's effort.

Reece Hall-Johnson curled a shot over before Everton had an opening with a set-piece six minutes before the break, but Liam Walsh lifted his free-kick well over the bar.

On 41 minutes, Morris met Odjidja's cross in the box with a stooping header, guiding it wide of Everton's goal, and then Elliott Bennett's saw a goalbound drive blocked from Conor McGrandles' pass.

From Ray Grant's corner moments later, Morris thought he'd doubled City's lead with a header from inside the six-yard box, though after a scramble in the goalmouth the ball wasn't adjudged to have crossed the line.

Although the Canaries finished the half the stronger side, they weren't able to add to the lead Morris had provided and went in at the break one ahead.

HALF-TIME: Norwich City 1-0 Everton

Odjidja and Elliott Bennett combined neatly four minutes into the second half, with the latter teeing up Morris who miscued his touch well wide.

Walsh had another set-piece chance for the Toffees, with McGrandles getting in the way of this one from his position in the Canaries' four-man wall.

The lively Loza forced another stop from Griffiths on 55 minutes after good build-up play from Morris and Odjidja, before Elliott Bennett went even closer.

Playing off the left flank in the second half, the winger aimed a 20-yard shot that came back off the inside of the post, with Everton fortunate to then be able to hack away the loose ball.

Everton captain Jonjoe Kenny was close to getting a decisive touch on Walsh's delivery, but City were soon back on the attack and Elliott Bennett saw his cross from the angle cleared hastily from the six-yard box.

Ryan Bennett was withdrawn with 25 minutes left on the clock after a solid performance in the middle of the defence, and his replacement Michee Efete made a brave block to deny Calum Dyson moments later.

Matthews then denied Henen as the Merseysiders rallied, but Wilkinson's youngsters stood firm until the 78th minute.

Walsh's drilled corner found Browning with a free header in the area, and he found the bottom corner to draw his team level.

City pressed in the final ten minutes, but aside from substitute Cameron Norman's stoppage time free-kick that was blocked by the Everton wall, they couldn't trouble Griffiths and the spoils were shared.

FULL-TIME: Norwich City 1-1 Everton
GOALS: Canaries: Carlton Morris (9) - Toffees: Tyias Browning (78)

NORWICH CITY: Matthews; Hall-Johnson, McFadden (c), R Bennett (Efete 67), Vasi; Grant (Norman 81), Odjidja-Ofoe, McGrandles, E Bennett, Loza; Morris (Kelly 79). Subs not used: Ramsay, Beauchamp (GK).

EVERTON: Griffiths, Kenny (c), Robinson, Ledson (Dyson 45), Browning, Galloway, Dowell (Charsley 60), Walsh, Henen, Davies, Connolly. Subs not used: Hunt (GK), Langton, Byrne.

REFEREE: Mr E Eiriksson


Advertisement block