Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Charlton Athletic v Norwich City

10 February 2015


CAMERON Jerome came off the bench to net a vital winning goal for Norwich City as they beat Charlton Athletic 3-2 at The Valley.

Jerome headed home Wes Hoolahan's cross seven minutes from time after the Canaries had let a two-goal lead slip in the second half.

Jonny Howson and Lewis Grabban scored in a dominant first 45 for Alex Neil's men, but the Addicks responded to their crowd's despondency after the break.

Tony Watt and Igor Vetokele hauled them level, but substitute Jerome had the final say, bagging his 14th league goal of the campaign.

Before kick-off, Alex Tettey returned to the team after being rested in the weekend's 4-0 win over Blackpool, with Hoolahan being the man to drop out of Neil's starting eleven.

Man-for-man in the first half at the Valley, they were magnificent and took a two-goal advantage into the half-time break.

Their confidence was evident in the very early stages as they moved the ball around their struggling opponents with ease.

It was Bradley Johnson who had their first sight of goal, lashing a volley wide, and their initial advantage was earned on 14 minutes.

Johnson won the ball off Chris Solly before feeding Grabban, who got his head up to spot Howson in the box, and the midfielder calmly stroked the ball into the corner.

They didn't relinquish control for a minute, and Johnson should have added another goal on 24 minutes but blazed Gary Hooper's pass over the bar.

The tempo slowed but as Charlton began to build hopes of levelling before the break, they were dealt a blow as City caught them on the counter attack two minutes before the whistle.

Some sloppy defending allowed Johnson to slide in Grabban, and the striker was decisive in chipping Marko Dmitrovic to net his first goal since December.

HALF-TIME: Charlton Athletic 0-2 Norwich City

City started the second period in much the same manner but they were stunned on 61 minutes when Charlton halved their deficit.

Substitute Watt anticipated Igor Vetokele's flick, beating the last line of City's defence before calmy slotting beyond John Ruddy.

Neil responded by introducing Wes Hoolahan for Hooper, but eight minutes later the scores were level.

Charlton swept forward, and after Ruddy had made a superb save to deny Watt, Vetokele was on hand to slam the ball home.

It was a remarkable turnaround for the hosts, who had upped the ante to stop the Canaries playing their football - and they were reaping their rewards.

Cameron Jerome came off the bench for the Canaries yet it was defender and captain Russell Martin who had their next chance, heading over from Hoolahan's corner.

But then Jerome came to the fore, edging City back in front with seven minutes left on the clock.

The powerful forward met Hoolahan's cross with his head, and it proved the crucial moment in a dramatic second half.

FULL-TIME: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Norwich City

GOALS: Addicks: Tony Watt (61), Igor Vetokele (69) - Canaries: Jonny Howson (14), Lewis Grabban (43), Cameron Jerome (83)

CHARLTON ATHLETIC: Dmitrovic, Solly, Wiggins, Ben Haim, Bikey-Amougou, Gudmundsson, Buyens, Jackson (c) (Harriott 59), Cousins, Bulot (Watt 45), Vetokele. Subs not used: Etheridge (GK), Wilson, Gomez, Onyewu, Lepoint.

NORWICH CITY: Ruddy; Whittaker, Martin (c), Bassong, Olsson; Redmond (Jerome 79), Howson, Tettey, Johnson; Hooper (Hoolahan 63), Grabban. Subs not used: Rudd (GK), Cuellar, Andreu, Garrido, Murphy.

REFEREE: A Woolmer

ATTENDANCE: 15,094 (2,392)

Wolves - Saturday, February 14 - 3pm

Advertisement block