Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Everton v Norwich City

27 October 2015


NORWICH City were knocked out of the Capital One Cup on penalties after a 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison Park.

Wes Hoolahan and Nathan Redmond missed their spot-kicks, with the hosts netting all of theirs, to ensure progression to quarter-finals for the Toffees after 120 minutes of closely-fought action.

Sebastien Bassong prodded City into a 51st-minute lead only to see Leon Osman level the tie later in the half.

Everton had the better chances in extra-time and were clinical with their penalties, scoring all four with Graham Dorrans, Steven Whittaker and Lewis Grabban bagging from 12 yards for City.

City now return to action on Saturday to face Manchester City in the Premier League.

Alex Neil made seven changes from Saturday's home defeat to West Brom, with Youssouf Mulumbu starting for his his full debut for the Club after two months out with injury.

Lewis Grabban made his first appearance for the Canaries since the last round of this competition, while there were also berths for Andre Wisdom and Vadis Odjidja Ofoe among others.

Romelu Lukaku lead Everton's attack, with Roberto Martinez fielding a strong team as the Toffees looked to end a run of three matches without victory.

Norwich were the better side in the opening ten minutes with the hosts uncertain at the back, but three corners came to nothing for Neil's men with Odjidja the closest to meeting one of Wes Hoolahan's deliveries at the back post.

Sebastien Bassong then turned a Nathan Redmond corner over under pressure, before Declan Rudd was called into action 25 minutes in when Tyias Browning slotted a pass through to Lukaku, with City's keeper blocking his shot with his legs.

Lukaku then went close to reaching James McCarthy's cross-come-shot six minutes later after a swift Everton move, but Odjidja had the last effort of the half when he forced Robles into a finger-tip save with a curling drive.

HALF-TIME: Everton 0-0 Norwich City

City continued as the team that carried the most threat in the second half and they got their rewards six minutes after the restart.

Everton failed to clear their lines after a Canaries corner, and after captain Gary O'Neil hooked the ball back into the danger zone, Bassong was on hand to turn the ball into the corner of the net.

It was the defender's first goal in the nearly three years and one that gave Neil's troops a lead that they deserved for their endeavour and quality compared to their opponents.

Odjidja bundled through two challenges but saw his path eventually blocked by John Stones, and Everton were forced into a double change to try and turn the game in their favour.

One of the subsitutes brought on was Ross Barkley, but it was experienced head Osman who levelled the game on 68 minutes .

He was afforded too much space from a City point of view in the box to touch Kevin Mirallas' cross beyond Rudd and bring his side back into the contest.

Everton had the bit between their teeth but it was City who had the next big chance - substitute Matt Jarvis chipped in a cross that Grabban met with a glancing header, but Robles made the save.

Debutant Mulumbu was withdrawn after an industrious display and replaced with Graham Dorrans, but the next opportunity went Everton's way.

Lukaku climbed high to reach Bryan Oviedo's cross - thankfully Rudd was able to watch his header float over his crossbar.

With extra-time looming, Grabban was denied once again by Robles, who pulled off an even more impressive save than before to claw away the striker's header in the final minute of normal time.

END OF 90: Everton 1-1 Norwich City

Everton had the first opening six minutes into extra-time when Barkley spotted Mirallas' run through the centre, but the Belgian's finish was off target left of Rudd's goal.

Up the other end, Redmond was still lively and his cross was met by Jarvis in the middle, but under pressure the winger guided his header wide before Dorrans lashed a half volley high into the stand moments later.

Neither side built up enough of a head of steam as energy levels decreased, though Rudd had to be at his best to deny Oviedo in the final moments before Barkley blasted over. With neither side able to grab the winner, the tie had to be decided via a penalty shootout.

The home team were ruthless from the penalty spot however to win 4-3 on spot-kicks, with Hoolahan and Redmond missing for the Canaries.

FULL-TIME: Everton 1-1 Norwich City (Everton win 4-3 on penalties)

GOALS: Toffees: Leon Osman (68) - Canaries: Sebastien Bassong (51)

EVERTON: Robles, Oviedo, Funes Mori, Stones, Browning (Barkley 62), Gibson, McCarthy, Mirallas (Naismith 98), Osman (c), Kone (Deulofeu 62), Lukaku. Subs not used: Howard (GK), McGeady, Lennon, Galloway.

NORWICH CITY: Rudd; Wisdom (Whittaker 90), Bennett, Bassong, Olsson; Redmond, Mulumbu (Dorrans 76), O'Neil (c), Odjidja (Jarvis 68); Hoolahan; Grabban. Subs not used: Ruddy (GK), Martin, Jerome, Lafferty.

REFEREE: Roger East

Advertisement block