Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Middleton double helps U23s beat Stoke

25 August 2017

Norwich City’s U23s picked up their first victory of the Premier League 2 season, beating Stoke City 2-0 in an action-packed game at Carrow Road.

City went ahead in the opening four minutes through Glenn Middleton and the winger doubled the host’s lead on 79 minutes with an instinctive volley.

However, a huge melee just after City’s second goal resulted in Remi Matthews and Tristan Abrahams both being shown red cards. Stoke’s Tre Pemberton was also sent off.

City started brilliantly in what was their first Carrow Road match of the season and they gave the home support something to cheer inside four minutes.

Abrahams was played through on goal and he squared for Middleton who did excellently to curl the ball into the far corner.

Stoke were very quiet in the first half and City could have easily added to their lead on 25 minutes. Kieran Higgs intercepted a poor pass and broke clear but his left-footed shot skewed wide of the post.

Middleton almost produced a carbon copy of his first goal towards the end of the half but City went into the interval still well in control.

The second half was much more open, with Stoke committing more men forward and leaving themselves susceptible on the break.

However, the Potters did go close on the hour mark when Tyrese Campbell headed straight at Matthews from point blank range.

Moments later, Abrahams almost scored his first in City colours but Josef Bursik palmed away his long-range strike well.

Campbell again went close on 70 minutes after his shot was palmed away by Matthews but City effectively sealed the points with ten minutes left.

Adam Phillips crossed for Cantwell whose lay-off was on a plate for Middleton to get his second of the game with a terrific volley.

The points were secured but a huge scuffle in the dying embers saw Matthews and Abrahams both shown red cards for their involvement in the incident. Stoke’s Pemberton was also sent off.

However, the match ended and City got what they deserved - their first victory of the season in Premier League 2.

Advertisement block