Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City recover to ease past Charlton

22 August 2017

Norwich City recovered from an early setback to safely progress through to the third round of the Carabao Cup, beating Charlton Athletic 4-1 at Carrow Road.

City went behind on five minutes after Lee Novak's strike but responded in emphatic fashion with goals from Josh Murphy (x2), Marley Watkins and debutant Tom Trybull sealing the victory.

Daniel Farke made six changes to the team that started Saturday’s defeat to Aston Villa. Michael McGovern and Alex Tettey made their first starts of the season, with Ivo Pinto returning from injury at right-back. Wes Hoolahan, James Maddison and Watkins were also recalled in a strong City eleven.

Charlton started the brighter of the two sides and managed to grab an early lead when a mistake in the City defence allowed experienced marksman Novak to rifle home past McGovern.

City almost responded moments later when Murphy got to the byline but his low cross was cut out well by Regan Charles-Cook at his near post.

Murphy once again worked an opening on 15 minutes but curled a long range effort just over the crossbar. The wide man was his usual menace on the left in the early stages, giving Charlton right-back Anfernee Dijksteel no end of problems.

But the City winger didn’t have to wait long to get his team back level. On 21 minutes, Pinto whipped a deep cross to the back post and Watkins intelligently nodded the ball down to Murphy who lashed the ball into the bottom corner with an unstoppable volley.

Murphy almost gave City the lead seconds later, firing a powerful shot low to Dillon Phillips’ right but the Charlton stopper produced a smart save.

City were well on top at the half hour mark and forced Phillips into action yet again, this time through Maddison who made the young goalkeeper produce a top save from close-range.

The hosts continued their momentum into second half and it was ever-involved Murphy who handed City the advantage within minutes of the restart. He was perhaps fortunate with a slight ricochet in the box but the ball fell kindly to City’s No11 to smash the ball home from a tight angle.

The second half was quiet for most periods with City happy to sit back and hit their opponents on the break. It was only until the 72nd minute that Charlton had a chance of note when substitute Josh Magennis nodded inches wide after a drilled cross from Jay Dasilva.

However, City punished Charlton for that missed opportunity on the counter attack. Murphy turned provider on this occasion, squaring for Watkins to smash home his first goal for City from close-range.

With the two-goal cushion in place, this allowed Farke to ring the changes. One of those was replacing Hoolahan, who was at is brilliant best on the night, with Trybull who came on for his Norwich City debut.

And just minutes after coming on, Trybull made sure of the points, powerfully volleying a loose ball home past Phillips.

The result sees City safely through to Thursday’s third round draw.

Advertisement block