Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Quickfire Idah hat-trick puts City through in FA Youth Cup

12 December 2017

A ten-minute hat-trick from Adam Idah helped Norwich City Under-18s through to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup with a 4-1 victory over Barnsley.

The Tykes led at half-time after Matthew Wolfe's strike but City responded during a barnstorming ten minute spell early in the second half.

Adam Idah bagged three times with Anthony Spyrou also on the scoresheet to help City set up a clash with either Derby County or Manchester United in the next round.

Barnsley had the better of possession early on but it was City who had the first meaningful effort on goal. On 18 minutes, Adam Idah showed quick feet in the box before drawing his shot into the side-netting at the near post.

Moments later, with their first sight at goal, Barnsley took the lead. On 28 minutes, Wolfe worked some room on the edge of the penalty area and managed to curl the ball off the post and into the net past a despairing Jon McCracken.

City really struggled to in get in-behind the visitors’ defence in the first half and the Tykes went onto have the better opportunities as the half wore on.

Luckily for City, Wilberforce Ocran’s shot deflected into the arms of McCracken on 35 minutes before Wolfe went close again from the edge of the box and then Berkovits fired home from close-range shortly after.

Barnsley continued from where they left off at the start of the second half. First, Sam Tingle forced McCracken into a reflex save to his left before Amir Berkovits volleyed over from the subsequent corner. Moments later, the Tykes had the ball in the net but Tom Clare's tap-in is ruled offside following Berkovits' cross.

Idah and then Spyrou went close for City shortly after before the two contributed to a sensational ten-minute turnaround in which City scored four times.

First, Max Aarons was pulled down in the area and, despite Idah’s spot-kick being saved, the Irishman showed great determination to slide home the rebound and equalise. Then just seconds later, City went in front as Spyrou latched onto a through-ball before finishing excellently into the far corner.

City had breathing space on 63 minutes as substitute Alan Fleming slid the ball across the box to Idah who showed great feet under pressure and then finish with aplomb. The striker then completed his hat-trick five minutes later, running onto a McCracken punt forward and curling the ball beyond Jake Greatorex.

David Wright’s team could have added to the scoreline late on through Spyrou on 85 minutes and, at the other end, Aarons maintained the three-goal  cushion with a super goalline clearance from a Tommy Willard strike.

Ultimately, the ten minute spell of four goals from City was the difference and Wright’s players progress to the next round.

Advertisement block