Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City complete second half comeback to win against Sheffield Wednesday

9 December 2017

Goals from James Maddison, Timm Klose and Nelson Oliveira (pen) gave Norwich City a much-needed victory in the Sky Bet Championship as they beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 at Carrow Road.

Jordan Rhodes gave the visitors the lead in the first half, converting Adam Reach’s cross from close-range but City roared back in the second half to deservedly take the points.

Daniel Farke made just the one change to the side which started the 3-1 defeat to Cardiff City last Friday with Alex Pritchard making his first start of the season, replacing Wes Hoolahan. There were also spots on the substitutes’ bench for Marley Watkins and Tom Trybull.

On a bitterly cold Saturday evening at Carrow Road, it was the hosts who created the first effort on goal. After a foul on Pritchard, Mario Vrancic stepped up to take the free-kick around 25-yards from goal, however, his left-footed strike curled just over the crossbar.

Then on 15 minutes, City had their first real sight of goal in open play. Ivo Pinto cut in from the right hand side and gave to ball to Maddison who took a touch before firing over from the edge of the box.

However with their first chance of note, the visitors took the lead a few moments later. Morgan Fox managed to cut the ball back to Reach in the area and his first time cross was nodded in from close-range by Rhodes.

City had a terrific opportunity to pull a goal back on 27 minutes. A loose pass by a Wednesday midfielder was intercepted by Pritchard and he moved it to Maddison who then played Oliveira through on-goal. However, City’s top scorer in the league could only guide the ball inches wide of Keiren Westwood’s far post.

Then on 36 minutes Oliveira went close again, forcing Westwood into action low to his left after heading a Pinto cross on target. The following corner was cleared only as far as Pritchard but he volleyed wide of the target from distance.

As the first half drew to a close, Wednesday had a chance to double their advantage. A corner from Ross Wallace was headed back into danger by Reach but Gary Hooper’s effort from just a few yards out was blocked brilliantly by Angus Gunn.

City came out of the traps firing at the start of the second half and, after going close through Oliveira and Vrancic, it was a case of third time lucky on 55 minutes. Pritchard surged forward and decided to go alone, forcing Westwood to parry with a low drive but only as far as Maddison who powered home the rebound to level the scores.

City carried on the momentum their equaliser produced and they managed to complete the turnaround on 68 minutes. Maddison turned provider this time as his out-swinging corner was met by Klose free in the box and the Swiss defender almost broke the net with a thumping header to give the Canaries the lead.

Farke’s men didn’t want to rest on their lead though and they almost added to their advantage on 80 minutes. A loose ball fell to Harrison Reed on the edge but the Southampton-loanee couldn’t reproduce his sensational strike which helped City to victory against QPR in August as his looping half-volley dipped just over.

City clinched the points in stoppage time after Oliveira fed Reed to his left, who was subsequently brought down in the box. Oliveira stepped up to smash home the penalty and give City their first win in eight league games.

Advertisement block