Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City U23s produce stunning comeback to draw with Wolves

6 November 2017

Norwich City’s Under-23s produced a stunning comeback to fight back from three goals down to draw 3-3 with Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Premier League Cup.

City were three down after 36 minutes after strikes from Donovan Wilson, Aarons Collins and Sherwin Seedorf but they pulled what proved to be a crucial goal back just before the interval through Todd Cantwell.

Tristan Abrahams cut the deficit to one with a cool finish on 89 minutes before Cantwell stole in at the back post to convert a long free-kick forward in stoppage time and complete the remarkable turnaround in Telford.

Matt Gill made three changes to the side which started the defeat to Fulham last week with Russell Martin, Emmerson Sambu and Glenn Middleton being replaced by Owen Wallis, Adam Phillips and Louis McIntosh.

The first half certainly belonged to the hosts and it was the dangerous Wilson who got the ball rolling on 18 minutes. He went close with two further efforts before and it was a case of third time lucky for the Wolves frontman as he found the top corner after a neat through ball.

Their second was slightly fortuitous when Collins scuffed his effort past Aston Oxborough after Connor Ronan’s cross and things got worse for City just minutes later when Seedorf exchanged passes with Wilson and curled the ball in off the post.

City had only produced half-chances over the course of the first half but they did pull one back just before half-time when Cantwell turned in Abrahams’ cross from close-range.

Gill’s men really struggled to break Wolves down in the second half. Their first chance came 20 minutes after the restart when Devonte Aransibia forced Harry Burgoyne into action at his neat post. Then on 71 minutes, Adam Phillips saw a speculative effort from 35 yards go just wide.

However, City gave themselves hope with just minutes to play when Cantwell turned provider to find Abrahams and the Canaries striker produced a great finish into bottom corner.

And with virtually the last kick of the contest, City managed to snatch a point from the game. A long free-kick forward by Oxborough was eventually turned in by Cantwell at the back post for his second of the game, helping City pick up their first point of this season’s Premier League Cup.

Advertisement block