Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City U23s edged out in six-goal thriller

20 November 2017

Norwich City’s Under-23s fell just short of another remarkable comeback as they were beaten 4-2 by Wolverhampton Wanderers in Premier League 2.

Early goals from Sherwin Seedorf and Christian Herc put Wolves two ahead in the opening 15 minutes but City responded through Pierre Fonkeu to reduce the arrears before half-time.

Ben Goodliffe restored the two-goal cushion on the hour mark but an Adam Phillips penalty moments later proved in vain as the hosts sealed the points in the final few minutes through Aaron Collins.

Matt Gill welcomed Russell Martin and Alex Pritchard to his starting eleven as they replaced Owen Wallis and Todd Cantwell. There was also a spot for Louis Ramsay on the substitutes’ bench with the on-loan Woking full-back making his return to action. The other change saw Glenn Middleton come in for Louis McIntosh.

City got off to the worst possible start when, within the first minute, Seedorf managed to squeeze a Herc cross past Aston Oxborough and into the net.

Things got worse for City on 14 minutes, just as they looked to get into their rhythm. Wolves managed to steal the ball in their own half and break, with Donovan Wilson crossing to find Herc unmarked at the back post and he volleyed past Oxborough.

City had looked a threat in the first half despite going two behind and they earned a way back into the match when Fonkeu turned in Glenn Middleton’s cross from close-range for his first Norwich City goal.

Wolves had a good opportunity to restore their two-goal cushion as Martin did brilliantly to deflect a Wilson drive onto the post. At the other end, Fonkeu almost added to his tally when he headed a pinpoint Pritchard cross just wide.

City had the better of possession during the opening second half exchanges but it was the hosts who struck on 59 minutes to restore their two-goal lead. Dan Armstrong’s corner found Goodliffe unmarked and he guided his header in off the post.

Gill’s side had shown immense character in their last trip to Telford and, once again, they weren’t going down without a fight. On 65 minutes, Tristan Abrahams was fouled by Anthony Breslin in the box and Phillips emphatically dispatched the penalty.

However, there was to be no repeat of that late-show from City on this occasion as substitute Aaron Collins made sure of the points in the final few minutes with a neat finish.

Advertisement block