Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Oliveira rescues a point with dramatic equaliser

14 October 2017

Nelson Oliveira grabbed a late, late equaliser for City to rescue a point for the Canaries against Hull City.

City looked to have been left frustrated after a first-half Nouha Dicko strike seemed enough to earn the three points for the visitors. 

Norwich dominated for large periods of the game and missed good chances, but Hull defended resolutely until the final seconds of the match. Substitute Oliveira got the final touch from a Cameron Jerome flick on following a Marco Stiepermann long throw. It was a well deserved equaliser against 10-man Hull. Seconds late, the referee blew for full-time. 

With a series of knocks and injuries affecting Daniel Farke’s team selection, he made three changes from the side at Reading. Fit-again Mario Vrancic took his place on the right, while Yanic Wildschut came in on the left. Harrison Reed also replaced the injured Alex Tettey in central midfield alongside Tom Trybull. There was also a first place on the bench for academy product Todd Cantwell.

It was a bright start from the hosts, with City attacking a noisy Barclay. James Maddison whipped in an early free-kick from the left after James Husband had been brought down just outside the penalty area, which just evaded the onrushing City players.

Wildschut was causing all sorts of problems down the left, and more powerful running from him in the 10th minute resulted in the ball running out to Maddison just outside the area, but his left-foot drive struck the post with Allan McGregor beaten.

Six minutes later Vrancic played a brilliant chipped pass over the Hull backline onto the breaking Wildschut, but his shot lacked power when he should have done better and his effort and was saved by the advancing McGregor. A moment later Wildschut was in again, cutting in from the left and unleashing a powerful right-foot drive which was beaten away by McGregor.

Angus Gunn was called into action for the first time in the 20th minute, when a gentle overhead flick from Kamil Grosicki looped into his arms. A minute later Gunn rose well to claim a corner under severe pressure, as the visitors began to grow into the game.

A quick break was City’s undoing, with Nouha Dicko beating Norwich’s offside trap and slotting past Angus Gunn to put Hull 1-0 up against the run of play.

The final 15 minutes of the half saw City pressing for an equaliser, but Hull were content to defend in numbers and the Canaries struggled to create an opening.

City started the second half on the front foot, but Hull looked dangerous on the counter-attack with Grosicki and Dicko constant threats.

Good hold-up play from Cameron Jerome helped to work space for Maddison in the box, but his powerful shot was beaten away by McGroegor.

On 57 minutes Hull were reduced to 10 men when David Meyler received a second yellow card for hauling down Wildschut, who was charging through the centre. Shortly afterwards Ivo Pinto’s effort from the left of the area sailed just over the bar as Norwich looked to take advantage of their extra man.

Maddison had a chance to add to his series of spectacular goals when the ball fell to him 25 yards out, but his curling effort flew just over the bar with 25 minutes remaining.

Farke made his first change on 65 minutes, with Wes Hoolahan introduced for Reed – whose last contribution was to plant a left-footer wide of the far post from the edge of the area.

Norwich were almost level when Timm Klose’s cross shot was cleared off the line by a diving Ola Aina, and the rebound didn’t fall kindly to Jerome, who headed wide from a difficult angle.

Farke rolled the dice with 15 minutes to go, replacing James Husband and Tom Trybull with Marco Stiepermann and Oliveira as City changed into a 4-2-4 formation. Immediately afterwards Maddison went agonisingly close, jinxing his way into a crowded penalty area and driving an inch wide of the far post.

It was all City now, with Hull keeping everyone behind the ball. The visitors kept their shape under the onslaught, and City found it difficult to punch holes in the back line.

Angus Gunn went forward for a late corner as Norwich kept  throwing everything at Hull, but just as the vistors looked to be holding out Oliveira pounced with seconds remaing to send Carrow Road into a frenzy. 

Advertisement block