Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wolves inflict defeat on City

31 October 2017

Norwich City conceded a goal in each half as they were beaten 2-0 by Wolverhampton Wanderers at Carrow Road.

Willy Boly gave the visitors the lead in the first half, heading home unmarked from a corner, before Leo Bonatini volleyed past Angus Gunn in the second half to put Wolves top of the Sky Bet Championship.

The match was City’s fourth in just nine days so Daniel Farke moved Christoph Zimmermann, Marco Stiepermann and Cameron Jerome down to the substitutes’ bench with Grant Hanley, James Husband and Marley Watkins replacing them. The other change saw Mario Vrancic come in for Wes Hoolahan.

City dominated possession in the opening few minutes but it was the visitors who had the first chance of note. Record-signing Ruben Neves tried to guide the ball into Gunn’s near post from range but a deflection saw his strike fizz just wide. Moments later, the Canaries had a long-range shot of their own but Vrancic struck high and wide into the Barclay.

The best opening of the early exchanges came at the same end when Marley Watkins flicked an enticing James Maddison free kick onto the post but the visitors drew first blood with a set-piece of their own on 18 minutes. An in-swinging corner from Barry Douglas was met by an unmarked Boly and he guided his header past Gunn.

Wolves almost capitalised on a momentary lapse in concentration from Husband just seconds after but Bonatini could not divert his effort on goal from a tight angle. City found it difficult to break their opponents down after going behind and only had a Timm Klose header going wide from a Maddison corner to show for their endeavours in the first half.

City were almost caught out on the break at start of second half but Alfred N’Diaye shot straight at Gunn after being played in by Ivan Cavaleiro. Then on the hour mark, Bonatini dinked the ball just wide of goal after Diogo Jota had broken clear on the near side – under Jota’s control the ball looked to have gone out of play but it wasn’t flagged by the linesman, much to the displeasure of the City bench.

Farke brought on Jerome, Stiepermann and Zimmermann moments later but the changes didn’t bring the hosts any joy and it was the visitors who doubled their advantage on 72 minutes. A combination of Douglas and Ryan Bennett kept a free-kick alive and the loose ball fell kindly for Bonatini who lashed home past a despairing Gunn.

Wolves managed to see out the remaining minutes for a clean sheet as City failed to score for the first time in seven matches. Farke will look for improvements in his side when they take on Bolton Wanderers at the Macron Stadium on Saturday.

Advertisement block