Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City's U23s draw at home with Blackburn

17 September 2017

Norwich City’s U23s fought back from a goal down to make it three games unbeaten in Premier League 2 with a 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers at Carrow Road.

Joseph Nuttall gave the visitors the lead on 16 minutes before Tristan Abrahams equalised minutes later with a stunning volley.

Both sides had chances to take the spoils in the second half but 1-1 was how the match ended.

Matt Gill welcomed first-teamers Russell Martin and Paul Jones to his starting eleven. Tristan Abrahams returned from suspension after being sent off against Stoke City.

The game was very even in the opening 15 minutes with both sides enjoying spells in possession. However, it was Blackburn who drew first blood when Nuttall rose highest to nod the ball past Paul Jones.

City responded in emphatic fashion though just four minutes later. A long ball was flicked on by Pierre Fonkeu into the path of Abrahams who lashed an unstoppable half-volley into the top corner.

The hosts went close to taking the lead ten minutes later. Fonkeu cut inside from the left and squeezed the ball through to Savvas Mourgos who was unlucky with his strike from a tight angle whistling wide of the post. However, Nuttall went close to adding to his tally on 36 minutes when he headed over from a corner.

Gill introduced Scotland U19 international Glenn Middleton on the hour mark and he was among the thick of the action instantly, forcing Andrew Fisher into action at his near post after a powerful, long-range strike.

Moments later, Max Aarons burst down the left-hand side and showed great awareness to lay the ball back to Mourgos who stung the palms of Fisher from the edge of the box.

Nuttall was the main threat for Blackburn and he could have scored again on 67 minutes but he sliced his effort well over the bar from just inside the box.

On 80 minutes, substitute Kieran Higgs was found at the back post by Abrahams but his strike was brilliantly shut down by a Blackburn defender.

Nuttall twice wasted headers from good positions in the final ten minutes but the match ended on a sour note when Rovers captain Lewis Hardcastle was shown a red card for a second booking. The point means City are unbeaten in three games in Premier League 2.

Advertisement block