Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under-23s battle to victory over Wolves

15 April 2018

Norwich City Under-23s battled to a 2-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers in Premier League 2 on Sunday afternoon.

In an impressive first-half display from the Canaries, a tap-in from Tristan Abrahams and sublime chip from Marco Stiepermann had them two goals ahead at the break.

Wolves improved in the second-half and replied through substitute Niall Ennis but City dug in and managed to hold out for the three points.

Head Coach Matt Gill welcomed Stiepermann to his starting eleven in his first piece of action since hernia surgery. There was also a start for trialist Adam Lund who deputised for the suspended Timi Odusina at centre-back.

City dominated a largely one-sided first half and deservedly went into the break two goals to the good.

First on 19 minutes, Adam Phillips played a defence-splitting pass to Simon Power who then cut the ball back to Adam Idah. His shot was scuffed slightly but Abrahams made no mistake, slamming the ball home to put City ahead.

The Canaries doubled their lead within moments of going ahead. Abrahams turned provider this time to square the ball to Stiepermann who audaciously chipped over the grasp of goalkeeper Will Flatt, with the linesman on the far side waving his flag to signal that the ball had indeed crossed the line.

City pressed for a third early in the second half and they had the ball in the net on 52 minutes when Lund headed home Phillips' deep cross but the linesman had his flag up for offside.

Wolves were much improved in the second half and two of their three changes combined to get them back into the match. On 63 minutes, Sherwin Seedorf's low cross was left by a number of City men, allowing Ennis to steal in at the back post and tap into an empty net.

After making all of their substitutes, the visitors were forced to play the final 20 minutes with ten men after Will Randall withdrew with a hamstring injury.

However, they were still a threat in the second-half and City were forced to work incredibly hard defensively. Wolves' best chance to equalise came when Elliot Watt's goalbound free-kick was expertly saved at full-stretch by Aston Oxborough.

But City's endeavour at the back eventually saw them hold out for the three points.

Advertisement block