Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Canaries beaten late on by Cardiff

14 April 2018

Norwich City controlled proceedings only to be stung late on as they were beaten 2-0 by Cardiff City at Carrow Road in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday.

The Canaries had the majority of the chances throughout, but were undone when Cardiff substitute Kenneth Zohore squeezed home from a tight angle with three minutes left to play.

A stunning strike from Junior Hoilett in injury-time added gloss for the visitors, sending City to a harsh defeat.

Daniel Farke made five changes from the side which started Tuesday night's draw at Sunderland, with Moritz Leitner completing his return from injury as he took a place in midfield.

The other alterations saw Timm Klose, Jamal Lewis, Alex Tettey and Dennis Srbeny recalled, with Ivo Pinto, Christoph Zimmermann, James Husband, Wes Hoolahan and Nelson Oliveira dropping out.

City had the first major chance of the game on ten minutes when Srbeny spun well in the box before firing a low effect at goal which was kept out by Neil Etheridge.

Cardiff were next to threaten, with Craig Bryson curling some way over the crossbar after Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's burst down the flank.

Mendez-Laing proved troublesome again moments later, his dangerous cross somehow diverted behind as Harrison Reed made a vital interception at the back-post.

Similar then occured at the other end, the increasingly imposing Mario Vrancic turning beautifully before skidding a low ball across the face which narrowly evaded his teammates.

Midway through the first half Vrancic, central to everything that was good about the Canaries, dropped a sublime pass into the path of Srbeny with the frontman's shot being blocked at the last by a lunging Sol Bamba.

The visitors were determined to make it a physical battle, but City stood up to the challenge; their mix of brain with brawn almost paying dividends just past the half-hour mark when Srbeny flicked off the woodwork from James Maddison's inventive corner.

Making a mockery of their supposed status of having little to play for, Farke's men raced into every challenge as dithering in the Bluebirds defence coming dangerously close to giving Leitner the chance to profit moments before the interval.

Level at the break but deserving more, the hosts looked to quickly reassert themselves in the second period, having calls for a spot-kick waved away when Reed went tumbling in the box.

Maddison, provider of many a stunning strike this term, eyed another on 55 minutes but whipped off-target after moving in smartly from the left as City pressed for an opener.

They were aided in that chase by Srbeny, the 23-year-old a constantly available outlet as he spearheaded a fluid attack with a growing sense of surety.

Leitner, drifting into pockets of space at every opportunity, twice created room around the box only to be denied on each occassion by last-ditch blocks.

Having been dominant for much of the afternoon, City's work was to ultimately come without reward however.

After Angus Gunn had made an initial fine stop, Zohore pounced to put the away side ahead on 87 minutes - before Hoilett's strike from distance confirmed the outcome in injury-time.

Advertisement block