Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under-23s beaten at home by Wolves

31 August 2018

Norwich City Under-23s were beaten 3-1 at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers in their fourth Premier League 2 match of the season.

A first-half hat-trick from Benny Ashley-Seal had put Wolves well in control but Ant Spyrou netted to give City a lifeline heading into the break.

But the Canaries couldn't build on that in the second half as Wolves headed back to the west Midlands will all the points.

Matt Gill named an unchanged side from the one which thrashed West Bromwich Albion 4-0 on Monday and they looked full of confidence early on.

Although Wolves seemed happy to keep possession it was City who threatened a goal first. Tom Scully’s hopeful ball into the area was nodded well wide by Spyrou on 12 minutes.

However, Wolves’ persistence in permission paid off for them on 15 minutes as the ball was fed through to former Canary Ashley-Seal who fired the ball past Jon McCracken and into the bottom corner.

City almost responded within minutes though when Spyrou was played in by Adam Idah. He was forced to hold the ball up and subsequently lay it back to Alfie Payne who struck inches wide of the post.

On the half-hour mark, City went mightily close to equalising. A nicely-worked free kick started by Payne was clipped into the box by Spyrou. It fell nicely to Ciaren Jones whose goalbound shot was blocked, only for Simon Power to lash over from around eight yards.

City were then hit with a double-salvo as the game approached half-time as Ashley-Seal grabbed a further two goals to seal his hat-trick. The first came on the break as Pedro Goncalves crossed for the Wolves striker to head home before he showed alertness in the box to finish a deflected delivery from Ryan Giles.

However, City immediately responded and the persistence of Spyrou paid off. A chased down a through-ball from skipper Devonte Aransibia and prodded the ball underneath Andreas Sondergaard to give the Canaries hope heading into the interval.

Chances were at a premium during the early stages of the second-half with Wolves happy to frustrate City as they probed for an opening. In fact, it was the visitor who went close to adding a fourth when Giles’s cross-cum-shot from the left clipped the top of the crossbar.

Gill introduced natural winger Josh Coley with 15 minutes to play in an attempt to stretch their opponents and swapped Alfie Payne for Isak Thorvaldsson in the final five minutes but both changes were to no avail as City's winning run was ended.

Advertisement block