Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late goal sees Sheffield United beat City

18 August 2018

Billy Sharp scored with virtually the last kick of the game as Norwich City were beaten 2-1 by Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.

After Jordan Rhodes had cancelled out John Egan's opener, it looked like a draw would be the most likely outcome but Sharp nestled home from close-range in stoppage time to earn the Blades the three points.

Daniel Farke made two changes to his side which started the 4-3 defeat to West Bromwich Albion a week ago. Jamal Lewis made his first appearance of the season, replacing the ill Ivo Pinto at left-back and Tom Trybull returned in place of the injured Kenny McLean.

City’s start to the match was a slow one and it was the hosts who looked the more threatening of the two sides. On four minutes, Ben Woodburn was found in the penalty area but good defending from Grant Hanley blocked his cross. Then John Fleck was in space on the edge of the box but shot low and wide.

The Blades got what they deserved moments later when Egan met a corner at the back post. His header looped over Tim Krul and was cleared by Tom Trybull but the referee confirmed that the ball had crossed the line shortly after.

The goal kicked City into gear and they were much improved after going behind, playing with more intensity and retaining possession a lot better.

Rhodes went close from a corner on 24 minutes as he headed Ben Marshall’s delivery just wide but the City frontman went one better moments later. Onel Hernandez’s trickery in the area saw him pick out Rhodes in the six-yard box and he made no mistake in tucking the ball away.

However, within minutes the Blades almost regained the lead when Leon Clarke was found the penalty area but his strike was expertly saved by Krul.

The hosts once again emerged from the tunnel the sharper of the two sides but the only chance on goal they could muster in the opening second-half stages was a close-range Jack O’Connell effort which was easily pushed over by Krul.

City had a superb chance to go ahead midway through the second 45. The chance to break looked to have passed when Alex Tettey misplaced a pass but the ball ballooned up in the air and eventually saw Moritz Leitner through on goal, however Blades stopper Dean Henderson produced an outstanding save to deny him.

Moments later, City went mightily close again. Grant Hanley nodded a corner back into danger and Rhodes diverted it against the post before Teemu Pukki somehow managed to scoop the ball over from a couple of yards.

Heading into the final 15 minutes, the game was evenly poised with both sides looking able to sneak a winner. United went close on 78 minutes, once again from a corner, but their substitute Ryan Leonard headed over from a good position. Shortly after, Egan met a Chris Basham cross but he nodded inches wide.

City looked to have held on for a point but late on a crossfield ball found David McGoldrick and his cutback found Sharp to tap home.

Advertisement block