Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City fight back to earn point at Derby

10 February 2018

James Maddison's second-half penalty helped Norwich City fight back to earn a 1-1 draw against Derby County at Pride Park.

Matej Vydra gave Derby the lead early on with a clinical finish but City rallied and were unlucky not to level before half-time when Nelson Oliveira's penalty was saved by Scott Carson.

City dominated the second-half and got their reward when Maddison slotted home from the spot with around 20 minutes remaining.

Daniel Farke only tinkered with his starting eleven, making just the one change with Moritz Leitner coming in for his first City start in place of the injured Tom Trybull. On the bench, Ivo Pinto returned after missing the last three games.

Derby had the first meaningful effort on goal when Tom Lawrence’s half-volley flashed wide of goal before City responded at the other end with a very good chance to open the scoring. Oliveira did brilliantly to dispossess Curtis Davies but his low strike was palmed away by Carson.

The hosts took the lead in clinical fashion on 12 minutes when Ikechi Anya’s cutback from the right-hand side fell kindly to Vydra who lashed an unstoppable drive into the far corner of the goal.

City could have been awarded a penalty within minutes when Maddison felt a kick in the back of his leg and went down, though referee Jeremy Simpson waved away strong appeals leaving Maddison in particular unhappy at the decision.

Maddison went close to scoring on 21 minutes but his effort from the edge of the box was smothered by Carson. Then on 40 minutes, the City playmaker was in the thick of the action once more when he latched onto a Leitner pass, lobbed Carson and went down after contact from the Derby ‘keeper.

The referee initially said no to strong appeals but after consulting with his linesman, Mr Simpson decided to give the penalty. Unfortunately for City, Oliveira’s effort was saved by Carson low to his right.

City went close early in the second-half when Oliveira fizzed a low effort from the edge of the box just wide before Derby almost added to their advantage on the hour mark. After a corner was cleared, Lawrence managed to put the ball back into the danger area and his cross was met by Davies but the Rams’ defender couldn’t divert his header on target.

Apart from that Oliveira chance, City struggled to make any in-roads for the following 20 minutes but they did start to find gaps midway through the second 45.

First, Josh Murphy was found by a precise Timm Klose pass and the winger decided to take on his effort early, which was probably the wrong decision as he shot over from the edge of the box. Shortly after, Harrison Reed squeezed a cross into the area and Oliveira was once again thwarted by Carson from close-range.

City were having a lot more joy going forward and they eventually found their equaliser that their endeavours deserved on 72 minutes. A delightful move was finished superbly by Leitner but the referee had already blown for a foul in the box after Oliveira was upended. Luckily for City, Maddison stepped up and coolly sent Carson the wrong way from the spot.

Daniel Farke's men looked the more likely to find a winner in the closing stages with Oliveira going closest but overall, City more than merited their point at Pride Park and it could have easily been more.

Advertisement block