Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late Klose header earns City a point in the derby

18 February 2018

Timm Klose's late header helped extend Norwich City's unbeaten run in the East Anglian derby to ten matches after a 1-1 draw with Ipswich Town.

In a tense match, Ipswich looked to have stolen all three points when Luke Chambers nodded home from a corner on 89 minutes but Klose's stoppage-time header helped earn City a point to spark jubilant scenes among the home supporters.

Daniel Farke named an unchanged starting eleven from last weekend’s draw at Derby County. That meant Harrison Reed kept his spot at right-back ahead of Ivo Pinto who was named among the substitutes.

City had the better of the ball in the opening exchanges but it was Ipswich who first threatened to open the scoring. Jonas Knudsen headed Stephen Gleeson’s cross just wide at the far post on nine minutes before a lapse in concentration at the back allowed Martyn Waghorn a shot at goal from the edge of the box – his low strike was saved well to his left by Angus Gunn.

Ipswich had a penalty appeal waved away after Waghorn fell over in the box but then City had a chance of their own. Nelson Oliveira set himself up nicely with a good first touch before firing wide of Bartosz Bialkowski’s goal from distance.

Then on 31 minutes, James Maddison stepped up for a free-kick from around 35 yards. He swung the ball in towards the far post but no finishing touch was applied as the ball whistled wide. At the other end, Callum Connolly stung the palms of Gunn with a stinging drive from around the same distance.

On 36 minutes Murphy bent a long-range wide from the edge of the box but it was the visitors who finished the first-half the stronger of the two sides.

First, Connolly made the most of a deflected Waghorn strike and his header was well saved by Gunn, albeit the Town midfielder was flagged offside. Then Waghorn forced Gunn into action at his near post with a low, powerful free-kick.

City exploded into life at the start of the second-half with Maddison testing Bialkowski with a superb free-kick just moments after the restart. From the resulting corner, Reed managed to flick the ball back into danger and it fell kindly to Klose six-yards from goal but the tall centre-back scuffed his lines.

Maddison – City’s matchwinner on a number of occasions already this season – was once again thwarted by Bialkowski on 67 minutes following another trademark free-kick.

City’s best chance in the second-half fell to Oliveira who shimmied the ball onto his right before firing a low strike toward Bialkowski’s near post. Luckily for the visitors, their goalkeeper produced a superb stop to keep the scores level.

In a frenzied final few minutes, Chambers looked to have won it for Town after heading home a Waghorn corner but City had the last laugh with virtually the last kick of the game. Hanley found himself in unchartered territory on the right flank and managed to find Klose in the box who headed brilliantly past Bialkowski to extend City’s unbeaten run in the derby.

Advertisement block