Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City come from behind to beat Millwall

1 January 2018

Second-half goals from Tom Trybull and James Maddison helped Norwich City begin 2018 with a victory as they came from behind to beat Millwall 2-1.

Steve Morison gave Milwall the lead with a stunning long-range effort before a Trybull header and cool Maddison finish ensured City made it seven points out of nine during the festive period.

Daniel Farke made six changes to the side which started the draw against Burton Albion. In defence, Jamal Lewis made his first Carrow Road start in place of James Husband and Timm Klose returned for Christoph Zimmermann. Further up the pitch, Alex Tettey, Alex Pritchard, Maddison and Josh Murphy all returned the starting eleven.

City began brightly and went close inside four minutes. Murphy cut in from the left and picked out Nelson Oliveira with a pinpoint cross however the City striker headed just wide of Jordan Archer’s left-hand post.

Moments later, City went close again. Pritchard exchanged passes with Murphy and then forced Archer into action with a curling strike from the edge of the box before Grant Hanley connected with a Pritchard corner but diverted his effort over bar with his knee.

Murphy was then thwarted by Archer from distance before Millwall threatened for the first time on 20 minutes but James Meredith’s strike from a tight angle was routinely palmed away by Angus Gunn.

Ryan Tunnicliffe lashed over from a Morison knockdown on 28 minutes before Pritchard again went close from range as the game crept towards half-time. But City were made to rue their missed opportunities on the brink of half-time when the ball sat up nicely for Morison and his dipping half-volley flew over Gunn and into the top corner.

City had to come out of traps firing in the second-half and they did just that. On 52 minutes, Maddison picked out Trybull from a free-kick and the midfield maestro guided the ball superbly beyond Archer for his first league goal for the club.

Farke’s men had a spring in their step and were unfortunate not to have been awarded a penalty shortly after when Referee Stephen Martin waved away strong appeals when Murphy looked to have been fouled in the area by Shaun Hutchinson.

Murphy was having a busy day and he was in the thick of the action again on the hour mark but he couldn’t connect with Pritchard’s accurate cross. Shortly after, he tried to catch Archer off-guard at his near post and, on 74 minutes, the winger had his best chance to get on the scoresheet, cutting in from the right and clipping the crossbar with a curling strike.

It looked like it was going to be one of those days for City but a moment of magic involving playmakers Pritchard and Maddison saw City take the lead with ten minutes left. Pritchard spotted Maddison making an intelligent run in-behind the Millwall defence and the latter made no mistake, firing the ball into the far corner past a despairing Archer.

Maddison could have added to his tally late on with a long-range effort but it didn't matter as City began the year with three points.

Advertisement block