Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City held to a goalless draw at Hull

27 November 2018

Norwich City were held to a draw at Hull’s KCOM Stadium on a wet and windy evening, despite dominating possession throughout the game.

Both sides battled to take the lead in the first half, but neither were able to produce any great goal-scoring opportunities, leaving it all to play for in the second half.

The Tigers came out looking strong in the second half, but Norwich soon settled back into their rhythm. However despite creating some lovely movement on the pitch, they were unable to hit the back of the net.

Daniel Farke made just one change to the starting eleven who beat Swansea 4-1, with Tom Trybull coming into replace Moritz Leitner who picked up a knock in Saturday’s game. Dennis Srbeny took Trybull’s place on the bench.

City started off passing the ball around well and saw an early chance with an exchange between Teemu Pukki and Emi Buendia, but the Argentine’s shot from the edge of the box curled over the bar.

The Canaries dominated possession for the first 10 minutes in testing weather conditions, although neither team had any real chances at goal.

Hull won a free-kick on the left after Max Aarons brought down Jarrod Bowen in a dangerous position outside the box, but Kamil Grosicki’s cross deflected off Buendia to go out for a corner. The City defence cleared the corner to regain possession.

Norwich continued to control the game, with any spells of dangerous play from Hull being well dealt with by the Canaries’ defence. But despite dominating possession, Norwich struggled to get the ball into the box to get a shot at goal.

The Tigers had the first proper chance of the game in the 32nd minute as Grosicki’s cross found Bowen at the back post, but he headed the ball just wide.

Norwich looked for a response with Alex Tettey shooting from distance forcing David Marshall into action, quickly followed by another effort from Trybull which Marshall was forced to tip away.

Norwich upped the tempo and had another chance at goal with a corner cross from Buendia falling to Trybull, but he could only header over the bar.

In the 42nd minute, the Canaries were awarded a free-kick just outside the box after Tettey was brought down. Buendia stepped up to take it, but his effort lacked power and curled straight into the hands of the keeper.

Norwich continued to search for the opener going into the break, but the first half ended 0-0.

Hull had the first shot of the second half, with Jackson Irvine breaking through. But his touch was weak and rolled straight into the hands of Tim Krul. Grosicki followed with a strike from outside the area, but Krul comfortably made the save again.

The Tigers continued to go for goal with a great chance for Bowen from close range, but he put it wide at the back post under pressure from Jamal Lewis.

Kevin Stewart conceded a free-kick for a foul on Trybull midway in the Hull half, with Buendia again stepping up to take the kick, but his ball fell to the edge of the box and into Hull’s possession.

Tiger’s captain Markus Henriksen produced a long-range effort in the 62nd minute which looked to be on target, but it just missed the top of Krul’s crossbar.

Norwich came close in the 69th minute with a lovely cross from Max Aarons into the path of Trybull who was free in the area, but he nodded the ball wide.

Farke made his first change a couple of minutes later, with Mario Vrancic replacing Trybull, followed by his second with Todd Cantwell replacing Onel Hernandez.

Norwich continued to move well and looked to be through with a nice ball from Vrancic to Aarons, but Marshall ran out to claim it.

Norwich made their final change in the 86th minute, with Dennis Srbeny on for Marco Stiepermann.

The Canaries continued to push for a goal, with Buendia taking a shot on the half-volley, but he fired the ball wide.

The game ended 0-0, with both sides sharing the points. 

Advertisement block