Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late drama sees City win seven-goal thriller v Millwall

10 November 2018

Two stoppage-time goals helped Norwich City come out on top in a seven-goal thriller against Millwall at Carrow Road.

City trailed 1-0 at the interval after Tom Elliott had headed the visitors in-front. However, the Canaries equalised shortly after the break through Teemu Pukki and the same man had a penalty saved moments later. 

Mo Leitner fired City in front on 79 minutes but Millwall turned the game around and had the lead heading into the final few minutes thanks to goals from Ryan Leondard and Jed Wallace.

But City's never-say-die attitude was in full force in stoppage-time with Jordan Rhodes and Pukki finding the net to hand City their fifth win in succession.

Daniel Farke made just one change to the side which started the 4-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday in their last game with Marco Stiepermann returning to the starting eleven in place of Mario Vrancic who dropped to the bench. Jordan Rhodes, Tom Trybull and Todd Cantwell all returned to the squad after missing the previous game.

Prior to kick-off, a two minute silence was observed as Carrow Road paid its respects to the Armed Forces and everyone involved in the events at the King Power Stadium two weeks ago.

Millwall started the brighter of the two sides and their physicality was causing City a few issues, although they only managed to threaten once in the opening 15 minutes when Elliott lashed a long-range effort over the crossbar from the edge of the box.

However, City started to find their rhythm on 15 minutes and started to build decent-looking attacks, without properly testing Ben Amos in the Millwall goal.

The aforementioned physicality of the visitors was evident when they took the lead on on 24 minutes. A free-kick from Shaun Williams was headed across goal and Elliott rose highest in the area to nestle a header into the bottom corner.

City almost responded five minutes later when Pukki’s cutback was dummied by Marco Stiepermann and seized upon by Alex Tettey, although the Canaries skipper curled low and inches wide of the far post.

Timm Klose, who was announced as City’s Player of the Month for October before kick-off, then found himself in acres of room in the penalty area but could only head straight at Amos from a Moritz Leitner corner. Then five minutes later, the same man headed against the crossbar and Christoph Zimmermann powered home the rebound, only for the linesman to put his flag up for offside.

The Canaries finished the second-half strongly and Emi Buendia curled inches wide of the top corner as the hosts found themselves aggrieved to be heading into the break with a deficit.

But the deficit didn’t last much longer after the restart as City drew level on 49 minutes. Stiepermann broke clear down the left and his low cross was lethally dispatched by Pukki at the near post.

City then had a golden opportunity to take the lead. Onel Hernandez’s goalbound effort struck the arm of Shaun Hutchinson and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. However, City’s spot-kick woes continued as Pukki’s effort was beaten away by Amos.

Millwall’s belief started to grow after that penalty miss and they enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure, although they only tested Krul with 15 minutes left when Elliott’s deflected effort fizzed straight into the goalkeeper’s arms.

The game then descended into a crazy five minute spell. City took the lead on 79 minutes when Leitner arrowed the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. However, the Canaries switched off and the scores were level once again were Leonard ghosted into the box and slotted past Krul.

Things were made even worse a few minutes later when Wallace exchanged passes with substitute Steve Morison and finished to give the visitors the lead.

The drama didn’t end there as City drew for the second time level in stoppage time. A defence-splitting pass from Buendia found substitute Rhodes to slot past Amos.

And with virtually the last kick of the game, City grabbed a winner when Mario Vrancic's pinpoint pass was finished by Pukki for his second and City's fourth, sparking jubilant scenes at Carrow Road.

Advertisement block