Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City dominate but are knocked out of the Carabao Cup

30 October 2018

Norwich City have been knocked out of the Carabao Cup after losing 2-1 to Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

The Canaries put up a good fight after going 1-0 down in the first half and got back into the game in the 70th minute with an equaliser from Onel Hernandez.

But Bournemouth got their second just moments later, and despite a brilliant display from the Norwich side they were unable to find the back of the net again.

Daniel Farke made eight changes to his starting eleven from the team who beat Brentford in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday, with Alex Tettey, Christoph Zimmermann and Jamal Lewis the only players to keep their places. Teemu Pukki returned on the bench for the first time since picking up a hamstring injury while on international duty for Finland.

A minute’s silence was held before kick-off in memory of those who lost their lives at Leicester on Saturday. All of the players also wore black armbands to show their respect.

City started off strong with a run down the left from Onel Hernandez which ended in a shot by Mario Vrancic, but his low effort was palmed away by the Cherries keeper Artur Boruc.

City’s chance was soon followed by a powerful shot from Jermain Defoe in front of the Norwich goal, but his effort just went wide.

Norwich dominated possession in the first 15 minutes and a chance came with a long-distance strike from Dennis Srbeny, although it went wide. Moments later Bournemouth responded again with a shot from Jordan Ibe but it went high over Michael McGovern’s bar.

Another good chance came in the 18th minute after a lovely cross from Mario Vrancic found Felix Passlack on the right, but his shot glanced across the goal and just went wide.

The next 10 minutes saw both teams share time on the ball, although neither team had any real chances at goal.

City thought they were through in the 27th minute as Vrancic looped a lovely ball over the Bournemouth defence to Srbeny, but the City striker was flagged offside.

The game looked fairly even from that point on, with both teams probing for a way through until Bournemouth got the chance they were looking for in the 39th minute with a strike from Junior Stanislas finding the top corner to put them in front.

But Norwich didn’t sit back and quickly looked to get an equaliser. The first chance came from Srbeny who was played through by Vrancic, but his effort was blocked by Boruc. Then Vrancic took his turn at goal with a low strike which just missed the far post. And just before the break, Srbeny had another chance with a shot which hit the post, followed up by a great header from Tom Trybull which was cleared off the line.

Norwich came out strong after the break, but quickly gave away a free-kick in a dangerous position just outside the box after a foul on Stanislas by Zimmermann, however he fired his shot straight into the Canaries wall.

Bournemouth looked the stronger of the two sides in the opening minutes, but Norwich soon settled back into their rhythm and started looking dangerous driving forward again.

City won a corner in the 60th minute after Hernandez latched onto a Vrancic pass. The flag kick was cleared by the Cherries defence and fell to Passlack on the edge of the box, but he could only hit his shot high over the goal.

Hernandez tested the Bournemouth keeper in 66th minute after a lovely ball through from Zimmermann, but his effort was well saved.

Farke made his first substitution in the 69th minute, with Emi Buendia coming on for Ivo Pinto. City then enjoyed a good spell on the ball, with all the play in the Bournemouth half.

The Canaries continued to press and got the goal they deserved in the 70th minute with a Trybull pass finding Hernandez who slotted it past the Bournemouth keeper to equalise.

But it wasn’t long until the Cherries were back in front, with a goal from Steve Cook after City failed to clear a corner.

Vrancic won a free-kick for Norwich in a dangerous spot just outside the box in the 76th minute which he took himself, but his shot cleared the wall to be saved by Boruc.

Pukki came off the bench in the 82nd minute to replace Trybull, followed by Jordan Rhodes in the 87th minute who took the place of Passlack.

Norwich continued to search for another equaliser right until the final whistle, throwing everything they had at the Bournemouth defence, but they couldn't get the goal. 

Advertisement block