Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Klose header cancelled out as City draw at Pride Park

3 October 2018

Craig Bryson scored a late leveller to prevent Norwich City extending their winning run to five Sky Bet Championship games in a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

Timm Klose gave City the lead with 20 minutes to play, nodding home after a superb corner from Emi Buendia, but Bryson bundled home late on for a share of the spoils.

However, the draw stretched the Canaries unbeaten run to eight games in all competitions.

Daniel Farke named an unchanged side for the fourth league match in succession. Tim Krul started in goal behind a back four of Max Aarons, Christoph Zimmermann, Klose and Jamal Lewis. Alex Tettey and Moritz Leitner occupied the holding midfield positions with an attacking midfield three of Buendia, Marco Stiepermann and Todd Cantwell playing behind lone striker Teemu Pukki.

It was an open start to the game with both sides looking dangerous going forward. On three minutes, Pukki gambled on a hopeful pass from Aarons and beat the offside trap before volleying over from a tight angle. A couple of minutes later, a long punt forward by Scott Carson caught the City backline out and that allowed David Nugent to force Krul into a smart save low down to his left.

Derby had a penalty appeal waved away on 10 minutes went Harry Wilson went down fairly easily in the area. Then Zimmermann headed straight at Carson following a corner from the left on 13 minutes

As the game settled into a rhythm it was the hosts who were enjoying the majority of possession, however it was City who were looking the more likely at taking the lead. On 23 minutes, Pukki’s deflected strike had Carson worried but it just looped wide of the post. Shortly after, Lewis’s burst down the left saw him force Carson into action once again with a low strike.

After that flurry of City pressure, Derby then began to dominate the ball, without really threatening Krul. However, on 38 minutes, Mason Mount weaved his way through the Canaries defence and managed to prod his effort towards goal, yet Krul was equal to it.

Then at the other end, City displayed their threat once again. Cantwell burst forward through the middle and after a fortunate ricochet, the ball fell straight back to him but he fired straight into Carson’s arms from just inside the box.

The start to the second-half was a lively one with Derby trying to up the tempo but City were composed in defence an allowing very little to threaten Krul’s goal.

Both teams continued to cancel each other out as the second-half wore on. Derby were finding it difficult to break through City’s defence with the visitors building good moves on the counter attack but lacking a final pass.

The first real chance to be created in the second-half came when Cantwell fed Pukki in the area and the City top scorer’s low strike was deflected just wide. From the resulting Buendia corner, Klose got across his marker and flashed a brilliant header past Carson and into the net to give City the lead.

Farke then brought on some fresh legs as City set about defending their lead. Mario Vrancic replaced Stiepermann and shortly after Krul denied Mount with a superb save from point-blank range.

Farke then made another change, bringing on Louis Thompson for Buendia. However, Derby managed to equalise with just minutes of the game remaining. Substitute Martyn Waghorn's cross was bundled home by Bryson at the back post.

Derby piled on the pressure in the closing stages with City clearly tiring. Jack Marriott was thwarted by Krul in stoppage time and Waghorn headed over as the Canaries held on to extend their unbeaten run.

Advertisement block