Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Buendia magic hands City victory over Brentford

27 October 2018

Emi Buendia's first Norwich City goal helped the Canaries beat Brentford 1-0 in a tight affair at Carrow Road.

Buendia's instinctive flick from Timm Klose's long ball gave City the lead at the interval and it could have easily been more with Jordan Rhodes having a penalty saved on the stroke of half-time.

City defended well for the majority of the second-half, despite a surprising miss from the Championship's top scorer Neal Maupay, and they held on to continue their impressive winning run.

Daniel Farke made just the one change to his starting eleven with Alex Tettey returning in place of Tom Trybull who dropped to the bench. Joining Trybull on the bench was Ben Marshall, who made his first appearance in a City squad since the win over Middlesbrough on September 15.

The first chance of the match fell to Brentford as Sergi Canos stung the palms of Krul from the edge of the area with a low effort inside the opening few minutes.

City took time  getting into their rhythm, but they began to look threatening as the minutes passed but without testing Daniel Bentley in the Bees’ goal. In fact, the visitors again went close on 19 minutes with Ollie Watkins firing a shot over after a lay-off from Neal Maupay.

Jordan Rhodes was played through on goal moments later but struggled to connect properly with the ball and it was safe with Bentley. Shortly after, Marco Stiepermann’s cross found Buendia but he skied his half-volley under pressure from Yoann Barbet.

In the 28th minute, Brentford were forced into an early change with Kamo Mokotjo coming off with an injury. Josh McEachran came on to replace him.

Despite not being at their fluent best in the first-half, City broke the deadlock on 35 minutes after a moment of magic from Timm Klose and then Buendia. The centre-back spotted Buendia and pinged a long ball through to the City playmaker and he met the ball first-time to guide the ball past Bentley and into the bottom corner.

It was almost two moments later following a lovely, intricate move. Stiepermann fed Todd Cantwell who backheeled through to Rhodes but his low strike just missed the far post.

City then had a golden opportunity to double their advantage on the stroke of half-time. Max Aarons was bundled over in the area by Watkins and Rhodes stepped up to take the penalty but it was well-saved by Bentley low to his left.

Brentford once again began brightly as the game restarted but it was City who went closest to scoring. Buendia’s corner was flicked towards goal by Rhodes but his header narrowly missed the top corner.

Brentford wasted no time in making their second change with Said Benrahma replacing Canos on 56 minutes.

Chances were at a premium in the second-half. City were struggling to click in the final third whereas Brentford, for all their intricate build-up, rarely threatened Tim Krul.

However, in 72nd minute, Brentford should have equalised. Substitue Benrahma forced Krul into a strong save and Watkins’ rebound was again blocked by the City keeper. The ball then ricocheted kindly to Maupay who somehow hit the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

With Brentford continuing to push for the equaliser, City almost sealed the victory on the counter attack with ten minutes to play. Moritz Leinter fed Cantwell bursting through to his left but the youngster shot straight at Bentley.

Apart from the minor blip which led to Maupay's miss, City defended superbly in the second-half and almost nicked a second in stoppage time with substitute Onel Hernandez firing over after a quick break.

But that didn't matter as the Canaries held on for their third victory in succession.

Advertisement block