Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Klose brace sees City take three points at Forest

20 October 2018

A brace from Timm Klose saw Norwich City come from behind to beat Nottingham Forest 2-1 at the City Ground.

City fell behind early on when ex-Canary Lewis Grabban finished well following a through ball by Joao Carvalho.

However, the Canaries went on to dominate much of the contest and deservedly pick up the three points. The first of Klose's goals came when he nodded home Mo Leitner's free-kick and the second came just five minutes from time as the Swiss international showed quick reactions to slam home a rebound.

Daniel Farke made two changes to the side which started the 1-0 defeat to Stoke City before the international break. Onel Hernandez and Jordan Rhodes both returned to the starting eleven, with Emi Buendia dropping to the bench and Teemu Pukki sitting out altogether as he recovers from a hamstring injury.

Forest started on the front foot and grabbed an early lead within six minutes. Joao Carvalho scooped the ball over the City backline and Grabban beat the offside trap before finishing well past Tim Krul.

City struggled to get into a rhythm early on and it was the hosts who went close to doubling their lead on 15 minutes. Joe Lolley was picked out on the left and he cut inside before rattling the woodwork with a right-footed strike.

That chance seemed to spark City into life and they then began to dominate possession, whilst being patient for on opening. A couple of half-chances from Max Aarons and Marco Stiepermann were followed by a sweeping City move.

Todd Cantwell played a smart one-two with Rhodes before releasing Hernandez but his low left-footed strike cannoned back off the post. Shortly after, the winger was found on the left and cut inside but his deflected strike went behind for a corner.

Farke was left wondering how his team weren’t level moments later following another terrific City move. Cantwell spotted a burst from Jamal Lewis down the left and the Canaries’ full-back crossed for Marco Stiepermann who somehow put the ball wide from six yards.

After a fast-paced opening 25 minutes the game quietened as it approached half-time with City enjoying plenty of possession but struggling to break Forest down. They best they could muster was when the lively Cantwell volleyed wide after a free-kick was cleared.

City began positively at the start of the second half and twice went close to equalising. Cantwell was freed by Stiepermann and the youngster clipped the ball over the on-rushing Costel Pantilimon but Forest were able to clear. Then, Max Aarons crossed for Rhodes but he headed straight at the goalkeeper from close-range, although the linesman’s flag was up for offside.

The travelling fans behind the goal that City were attacking in the second-half were sensing an equaliser and after plenty of probing from the away side, they eventually got what they deserved. Just after the hour mark, a teasing Leitner free-kick was flicked past Pantilimon by Timm Klose.

There were worrying signs on 70 minutes from a City perspective as Hernandez was withdrawn through injury. However, Farke’s team continued their search for a winner. First Cantwell’s low cross flew across the face of goal without any contact in the area and then Stiepermann’s deflected drive was well held by Pantilimon.

But after constant pressure in the second-half, Forest’s defence finally waivered with just five minutes left on the clock. Substitute Emi Buendia’s corner was met by Rhodes whose header was brilliantly saved by Pantilimon but there was Klose to smashed home the rebound for his second of the game and the three points. 

Advertisement block