Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leitner strike helps earn City a point in the derby

2 September 2018

Moritz Leitner’s equaliser saw Norwich City earn a point in a 1-1 draw with Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

A tight match burst into life in the second-half when Gwion Edwards’ deflected effort gave the hosts the lead.

But Leitner helped City to a point when his brilliant finish from the edge of the box flew past Town stopper Dean Gerken on 71 minutes.

Daniel Farke made three changes to his starting eleven from the game against Leeds United. Max Aarons replaced Ivo Pinto at right-back as the 18-year-old made his first senior league appearance, with Emi Buendia making his first league start for City in place of Louis Thompson. The other change saw Alex Tettey return for Tom Trybull.

In a lively start to the encounter, Ipswich had an early chance to take the lead when Buendia was adjudged to have fouled Cole Skuse on the edge of the area. Jordan Graham stepped up to take the free-kick but curled harmlessly over.

As the game settled, City looked to dominate possession and they were looking the more threatening of the two sides. However, their first real chance came from a set-piece on 14 minutes as Tettey headed Leitner’s free-kick just over.

Ipswich then penned City into their own half for the next 5 minutes but City repelled any real danger on their goal. In fact, it was the visitors who went close again from a set-piece but Timm Klose could only head Leitner’s free-kick wide.

The visitors were struggling to make in-roads behind the Town back four and were restricted to trying their luck from distance. Tettey struck a fierce one from around 25 yards which flashed just wide on 32 minutes.

City’s best chance of the first half came on the counter attack. Onel Hernandez swivelled on halfway and played Teemu Pukki in but he hit Dean Gerken’s near post with a low shot after cutting inside.

Moments later, it was Ipswich’s turn to rattle the woodwork. New signing Jon Walters took aim from the edge of the area and struck Krul’s right-hand post with a powerful drive.

There was controversy minutes before half-time as Graham tumbled over in the penalty area, with Portman Road appealing for a spot-kick to be awarded, but referee Robert Jones booked the midfielder for simulation.

Following that, there was a long delay as Skuse required treatment for what appeared to be a head injury. The midfielder was subsequently replaced by Trevoh Chalobah.

After struggling with a knock in the first half, Klose was substituted at half-time as Ben Godfrey came on.

Ipswich began the second half the better of the two sides and had City under lots of pressure, although the only real chance during that spell came when Kayden Jackson headed straight into the arms of Krul.

However, the hosts made their superiority count on 57 minutes when Gwion Edwards’ deflected strike wrongfooted Krul and flew into the far corner. Edwards went close to adding a second moments later after surging forward but his right-footed strike went just wide.

City rallied though and should have levelled midway through the second-half. First, Tettey’s shot forced Gerken into action and, from the following corner, the same man’s header was deflected agonisingly wide by an Ipswich defender. From the next delivery, Tettey diverted the ball back towards goal and skipper Grant Hanley could only scoop the ball over from around eight yards.

But City didn’t have to wait too much longer for an equaliser. With 20 minutes left on the clock, patient build-up play on the left saw Hernandez move the ball inside to Leitner who made no mistake with an accurate strike from the edge of the area flying into the far bottom corner.

Farke introduced Dennis Srbeny for Jordan Rhodes on 80 minutes in a bid to force a late winner but both sides settled for a point in the end. 

Advertisement block