Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pukki hattrick seals classy City win

17 August 2019

Teemu Pukki scored a hattrick as City steamrollered Newcastle to pick up their first win of the Premier League season.

Pukki struck once in the first half and twice in the second as Norwich dominated on a sunny day at Carrow Road to beat Newcastle 3-1. 

In truth, it could have been more for Norwich but Newcastle will rue a miss from Joelinton when the game was goalless, heading wide from five yards. 

Pukki's hattrick was the first for City in the Premier League since Efan Ekoku struck four against Everton in 1993, as City put the Anfield defeat behind them. Jonjo Shelvey scored a consolation goal in injury time for Newcastle, but it was far too little, far too late for the visitors.  

Daniel Farke made one change to the XI that started at Anfield, with Moritz Leitner coming in to central midfield for Kenny McLean. The Scotland international picked up a knock in the week, but took his place on the bench. Alex Tettey and Dennis Srbeny also made the bench, coming in for the injured Onel Hernandez and Josip Drmic.

Former City captain Steve Bruce set up his Newcastle side in a 3-5-2, with summer signing Joelinton up top alongside Miguel Almiron.

A very bright start from City was almost rewarded after five minutes when Pukku was played through on the right. It looked like he could have gone down under a challenge, but squared the ball to Todd Cantwell who, five yards, poked the ball goalwards but Martin Dubravka got down well to save.

With the fans right behind them, four minutes later Norwich carved out another opening. Marco Stiepermann used his strength to burst his way into the area on the right before squaring the ball back to Pukki. His first time shot from the angle flashed just wide of the far post.

Newcastle then had their first opening, from their first attack. Matt Ritchie swung a cross in from the right and Emil Krafth was free at the far post, but he half-volleyed well over.

Norwich stayed on the front foot, and on 16 minutes Pukki had another half chance. Max Aarons did well to get in behind on the right, and Pukki got on the end of his through-ball but his drive was beaten behind for a corner.

Pukki had another half-chance halfway through the first half when Todd Cantwell slipped him in on the left. His drive from just inside the area was saved well by Dubravka, who then scrambled to pick up the rebounce.

City were given a warning sign a minute later when Joelinton somehow headed a right-wing cross wide from just five yards. The Newcastle fans thought it was in, and it was a real let-off for the Canaries.

That didn’t worry City, and they were deservedly in front on 32 minutes. Leitner, who was bossing midfield, elected to go route one to Aarons on the right, who forced a corner. Emi Buender’s delivery was cleared, but the ball was recycled to him. He whipped in a cross, which was headed clear but it fell to Pukki on the edge of the area and he unleashed a stunning volley into the top corner.

Newcastle looked to respond quickly, and Krul reacted well to a far-post header from Fabian Schar, getting a strong hand to it from close range.

City kept the ball well to run the clock down and go in with a half-time lead.

Newcastle came out with more energy in the second half, but City’s shape was solid and they struggled to get in behind the City’s defence in the first 10 minutes of the restart.

Norwich started to dominate possession again without really creating any opportunies, and it was Newcastle who came closest to scoring when Krul pulled off a fantastic one-handed save from a corner.

Two minutes later Pukki got his second to double City’s lead. Cantwell showed quick feet on the edge of the area, and rolled the ball to Pukki to his left. He cut in on to his right, found an extra yard of space, and struck a low shot into the bottom corner.

Bruce made a change immediately after, although it appeared forced with Joelinton limping. He was replaced by Yoshinori Muto.

Norwich were camped in Newcastle’s half with 25 minutes to go, and their pressure counted again in the 75th minute. Marco Stiepermann saw a quick break, played the ball through to Cantwell who, after checking inside, rolled it to Pukki in the area and he calmly took his chance with his left foot, rolling it past Dubravka to make it 3-0 and complete his first hattrick for City.

Newcastle looked shellshocked, and City were able to keep the ball with relative ease and still looked the most likely to add another goal as the match entered the last 10 minutes.

With six minutes remaining Farke made his first change, with Mario Vrancic replacing Marco Stiepermann. A minute later Alex Tettey came on for Tom Trybull.

City played keep-ball in the last five minutes, with Lewis replaced by Sam Byram after a heavy knock. Byram was making his City debut. 

Newcastle pulled one back in injury time with Shelvey firing in from close range, but the goal flattered Newcastle. The full-time whistle went moments later to a huge roar. City are up and running. 

Norwich: Krul, Aarons, Hanley (c), Godfrey, Lewis (Byram, 90), Leitner, Trybull (Tettey, 87), Cantwell, Stiepermann (Vrancic, 84), Buendia, Pukki
Subs not used: Fährmann, Roberts, McLean, Srbeny
Pukki (32, 63, 75)
Aarons (37)

Newcastle: Dubravka, Dummett, Ki Sung-Yueng (Longstaff, 74), Schär, Lascelles, Shelvey, Joelinton (Muto, 67), Ritchie, Hayden, Hrafth, Almiron
Subs not used: Darlow, Clark, Willems, Fernandez, Manquillo
Goals: N/A
Bookings: Joelinton (44), Dummett (85), Longstaff (90+1)

Referee: Stuart Attwell
Kick-off time: 3pm
Venue: Carrow Road
Attendance: 27,059
HT: 1-0

Advertisement block