Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City beaten by second-half Wolves comeback

21 December 2019

Norwich City were hit by a second-half comeback to lose 2-1 at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers at Carrow Road.

The Canaries dominated the first-half and deservedly went into the break ahead - Todd Cantwell firing home on 18 minutes after a Kenny McLean cross wasn't cleared by the Wolves defence.

However, Wolves responded in the second-half on the hour mark through Romain Saiss and Raul Jimenez to take the points.

Daniel Farke was forced into one change from his team which drew with Leicester City last weekend. With Ben Godfrey ruled out until February with a knee ligament injury, club captain Grant Hanley made his first appearances for the Canaries since the defeat to Chelsea on August 24.

City almost had the lead inside six minutes. Emi Buendia did brilliantly to wriggle free of challenges and set McLean away but the Scot’s low left-footed strike was palmed away by a full-stretch Rui Patricio. Shortly after, Teemu Pukki was played in by Buendia but he fired straight into Patricio’s grasps.

It was an assertive start by the Canaries and they thought they had finally seized the advantage on 14 minutes when Alex Tettey long range effort cannoned off the post and rolled across the goalline. Somehow, the ball stayed out and the scores remained level.

But the Canaries didn’t have to wait much longer for their rewards. McLean raced clear down the left after being freed by Cantwell and he crossed low into the area. Wolves failed to deal with the delivery and that allowed Cantwell to smash home the loose ball and put City ahead.

City were buoyant and it should have been two on 25 minutes. Buendia played a trademark ball through to Pukki who bended his run and surged towards goal. However, the Finn uncharacteristically fluffed his lines from close range.

After a slow start from the visitors, they began to enjoy more possession and territory as the half wore on but they struggled to create anything of note. Jimenez had the best of their efforts on the half hour mark but he shot straight at Tim Krul from the edge of the area.

City regained the ascendancy as the game approached half-time and the familiar Buendia-Pukki combination almost paid dividends again but City’s top scorer failed to find the net, his low strike comfortably saved by Patricio.

Wolves began the second-half on the frontfoot and looked hungry in their search for an equaliser. That being said, they were finding chances to test Krul few and far between.

Instead, it was the hosts who went closest to adding to the scoreline with Buendia letting fly from distance and seeing his effort just graze the crossbar.

However, on the hour mark Wolves got their reponse. A deep cross to the back post by Joao Moutinho was nodded in by an unmarked Saiss.

The goal seemed to kick Wolves into gear and their press was forcing City deeper and deeper into their own half. Jimenez dispossed Hanley on 70 minutes but was wasteful with his chance from just inside the area.

After a long delay with referee Peter Bankes repairing a broken headset, Wolves took the lead on . Krul expertly saved Matt Doherty's close range strike but he could do nothing about Jimenez's finish.

Farke made a triple substitution with five minutes to play with Mario Vrancic, Onel Hernandez and Dennis Srbeny in the aim of turning the game in City's favour once more.

Pukki had City's best chance to level when his low drive was smartly saved by Patricio but Wolves held on for all three points.

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Byram, Hanley (c), Zimmermann, Cantwell (Srbeny, 85), Buendia, Trybull (Vrancic, 85), Pukki, McLean, Tettey (Hernandez, 85)
Subs not used: Fährmann, Lewis, Stiepermann, Amadou
Goals: Cantwell (17)
Bookings: Byram (53)

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Patricio, Doherty, Neves, Jimenez (Cutrone, 90+4), Coady, Jota (Neto, 77), Jonny, Saiss, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Traore
Subs not used: Ruddy, Vallejo, Bennett, Vinagre, Kilman
Goals: Saiss (60), Jimenez (81)
Bookings: Saiss (57), Moutinho (70), Doherty (90+6)

HT: 1-0
Attendance: 27,053 (2,402 visiting)
Referee: Peter Bankes
Kick off time: 3pm
Venue: Carrow Road

Today’s Golden Goal times were:

1st Goal: 16:32
2nd Goal: 59:52
3rd Goal: 80:27

Lucky Number 0609

Advertisement block