Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Norwich suffer 3-1 defeat away at Preston

13 February 2019

Norwich’s good run of away victories came to an end as they suffered a 3- defeat at Deepdale.

Preston North End took the lead early with a second minute goal from Ben Davies followed by a penalty from Paul Gallagher, with Norwich unable to get back into the game with a spot kick of their own.

Despite dominating the second half with possession and shots, a third goal in the 69th minute from Maguire sealed the game for them, with a 92nd minute goal from Teemu Pukki coming too late for Norwich. 

Daniel Farke made just one change to his starting eleven after naming an unchanged squad for the last four weeks. The change saw Alex Tettey making his first start since returning from injury, replacing Mario Vrancic who picked up an ankle knock during the East Anglian derby. Felix Passlack returned to the bench in Tettey’s place.

Ahead of kick-off, a minute’s applause was held in memory of England football legend Gordon Banks who recently passed away.

Preston came out of the traps flying and were awarded a free-kick on the right two minutes into the game. Captain Paul Gallagher stepped up to take, whipping it into the box where Ben Davies was waiting to head it home past Tim Krul.

The early lead gave Preston confidence going forward, with Alan Browne attempting to find Sean Maguire with a through ball, but he was flagged offside.

City’s first chance came just ahead of the tenth minute, with a superb ball from Emi Buendia to Teemu Pukki who raced past his defenders to get a shot at goal, but Declan Rudd did well to stop it with his feet. The ball bounced back to Buendia in the centre but he was quickly closed down by the Preston defence.

Norwich then had a couple of chances on the counter attack with good runs from Buendia and Onel Hernandez, but but the Preston defence did well to close them down and deny a shot at goal.

Preston continued to stay on top and went close again with a powerful shot from Brad Potts which hit the bar.

At the other end, Tettey and Tom Trybull both tried their luck with shots from outside the area, but both were blocked by the Preston defence.

It wasn’t long before the hosts got their second goal of the game, with a penalty awarded for a foul on Darnell Fisher by Buendia. Gallagher stepped up to take and although Krul got a hand to it he found the bottom left corner to give his side a two-goal cushion 24 minutes in.

The Canaries looked for a response with Pukki chasing down a ball from Marco Stiepermann before cutting in and getting a shot away, but the angle was too tight and he hit the side netting.

Norwich were awarded a penalty of their own at the half hour mark after Hernandez was bundled over by Ben Pearson in the box. Stiepermann took the spot kick, but Rudd did well to get down and deny a goal.

Despite being two goals down, Preston continued to attack and put the City defence under pressure going into the break. 

Farke made his first change at the start of the second half, with Jordan Rhodes coming on for Trybull.

Norwich got an early attack in with Pukki flicking the ball onto Stiepermann on the edge of the area, but his strike was straight at Rudd who easily collected.

A minute later, Preston made good use of a free-kick which was swung into the box and flicked towards goal, but it just flashed past Krul and out for a goal kick.

Another chance came for Norwich with Rhodes winning a header which fell to Stiepermann to play in Pukki on the run, but his low shot was pushed behind for a corner by Rudd.

Norwich kept up the tempo and Pukki took advantage of a poor back pass by Preston but the Finnish striker was forced out wide and the hosts cleared. More good chances followed with shots from Pukki and Tettey, but the final product was not enough to make it past Rudd.

Alex Neil made his first substitution an hour in, with Daniel Johnson replacing Gallagher.

Norwich continued to look dangerous and most of the play was around the Preston box. Rudd made another brilliant save to deny a Godfrey header at the far post, pushing it behind for a corner.

The hosts then made their second change, with Tom Barkhuizen coming off for Lukas Nmecha.

In the 68th minute Preston went 3-0 up as Sean Maguire got on the end of a rebound shot from Alan Browne which deflected off the bar. The hosts thought they had a fourth moments later but the goal was disallowed and a yellow card was shown to Nmecha, thought to be for hand ball.

The Canaries boss then made his second change, with Kenny McLean on for Stiepermann, followed a few minutes later by Preston’s final sub seeing Maguire go off for Jayden Stockley. The final City change came in the 85th minute, with Felix Passlack on for Hernandez.

A late goal came for Norwich in the 92nd minute with a angled shot from Pukki.

Advertisement block