Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City out of FA Cup after late Pompey winner

5 January 2019

Andre Green struck late into stoppage time to knock ten-man Norwich City out of the Emirates FA Cup as Portsmouth won 1-0 at Carrow Road.

There was an early setback for City as Grant Hanley was shown a red card on 15 minutes for a foul on Ronan Curtis. Despite that, the Canaries shaded the first-half, enjoying superior possession and creating more chances.

The second-half was a much tighter affair and it looked as if the tie would be settled by a replay, until Green finished a Pompey counter attack in the third minute of time added on.

Daniel Farke made eight changes to his starting eleven from the draw with Brentford on New Year’s Day, with Ben Godfrey, Christoph Zimmermann and Todd Cantwell the only players to keep their places. 

A close opening ten minutes failed to produce a legitimate strike on either goal. Jordan Rhodes thought he was in on eight minutes and managed to find the net with a superb lofted strike, but play was pulled up for a foul on Matt Clarke in the build-up.

Kenny McLean struck over from the edge of the box shortly after as City began to get a foothold in the game. However, Hanley was shown a straight red card with a quarter of an hour played for a foul on Ronan Curtis to tilt the game in the visitor’s favour. They almost capitalised immediately but Brett Pitman nodded Jamal Lowe’s cross over from six yards.

Despite the numerical setback, City continued to dominate possession in the first-half but chances to really test Craig MacGillivray were few and far between. Zimmermann and Dennis Srbeny both narrowly missed the target with shots from distance, before Godfrey shot straight at the keeper after a McLean free-kick was knocked down by Rhodes.

Portsmouth began the second-half well and Pitman went close to giving them the lead when he sent a dipping volley narrowly over the bar, following a nice bit of control from Curtis.

Curtis then went close himself, getting on the end of a Dion Donohue cross but only flashing a header across goal and wide.

City then settled into their usual rhythm and a moment of brilliance from Cantwell on 58 minutes almost gave them the lead. He took the ball down on the half-turn and stormed at the heart of the Pompey back four, before unleashing a low drive which went inches wide of the near post.

Seconds later, Cantwell turned provider to slide the ball into the path of Srbeny in the area, however Anton Walkes recovered well and prevented the City striker getting a shot away.

Following that flurry of action, the next 20 minutes were largely uneventful. Srbeny fired over from the edge on 72 minutes before Donohue's effort at the other end was saved by McGovern. 

Farke then brought on Timm Klose for Ben Marshall and that was swifty followed by a long-range Lowe effort which was tipped away brilliantly by McGovern.  

The City Boss then made a double change, introducing top scorer Teemu Pukki and Onel Hernandez. That gave the home side a boost and they almost profited from it when Cantwell's header from a Rhodes cross was well-saved by MacGillivray.

But Portsmouth managed to find the goal which made it through to the fourth round. A swift break was finished well by substitute Andre Green in the 93rd minute. 

Today’s Golden Goal time was:
1st Goal: 90:00
Lucky Number 1915

Advertisement block