Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City earn sixth win in a row with 2-1 victory at Rotherham

16 March 2019

Norwich edged to victory over Rotherham United to make it six wins on the spin.

Goals from Kenny McLean and Ben Godfrey secured all three points, with Semi Ajayi’s second-half effort not enough to keep them in the game.

Daniel Farke once again kept his starting eleven unchanged, with City enjoying wins in their last five games.

The first effort of the match came from Rotherham with a looping shot from Michael Smith, but it was too high and wide to pose any danger. The hosts followed up with a few more early efforts, first from Ben Wiles who lashed it over from just inside the area and then from Joe Newell eight minutes in, but Tim Krul collected comfortably.

The Millers continued to look the more solid of the two sides and at the 11-minute mark they went close again with a nice bit of build-up between Anthony Forde and Newell who found Smith in the box, but he headed the ball just wide.

Norwich started to gain more possession but didn’t create any real chances until 20 minutes in. A good strike from Onel Hernandez was pushed away by Marek Rodak but fell to Teemu Pukki who tried to knock it in, but somehow Rotherham were able to clear.

The Millers continued to make it difficult for Norwich, allowing very little space to move the ball around. The next 10 minutes saw it go from end to end with both teams unable to produce any shots to really test the keepers.

The Canaries had a good chance in the 34th minute with a corner taken by Emi Buendia. The ball was cleared but fell back to Buendia who fired in a low cross, however Pukki could only slide it wide.

At the other end Wiles produced a good run to weave towards goal, but his shot from 25-yards out looped well over goal.

Norwich took the lead in the 45th minute with a lovely ball flicked over the Rotherham defence by Pukki to Kenny McLean who chested it down and slotted it home from an angle.

A chance came for City almost straight away as Pukki put a low ball across the six-yard box which flew past the Rotherham defence and almost into the path of Marco Stiepermann, but he couldn’t quite stretch to get a foot on it.

Rotherham got back into the game with a goal from Semi Ajayi in the 52nd minute. His low strike found the bottom corner just out of reach of Krul.

City looked for a response and should have taken the lead again just moments later with a lovely one-two between Max Aarons and Buendia which ended with Pukki guiding the ball towards goal, but it flashed just inches wide.

However, the Canaries didn’t have to wait long to make it 2-1, with Ben Godfrey heading home from a corner put into the box by McLean in the 57th minute.

Paul Warne made a double substitution with Richie Towell replacing Matt Crooks and Anthony Forde going off for Jon Taylor.

With 20 minutes to go Wiles found a bit of space for the home side to get an effort away, but despite Krul diving to make the save his shot went a few yards wide of the post.

It was then Buendia’s turn at goal with the winger firing a superb effort from 25-yards out which flew just narrowly wide of the Rotherham goal.

The attempts kept coming for the Canaries with another great chance just ahead of the 80-minute mark where Pukki was through on goal, but Rodak got down low to make the save. Hernandez then cut into the box from the left, but his shot was straight at the Millers’ stopper.

The hosts then made their final change, with captain Richard Wood replaced by Jerry Yates.

Daniel Farke made his first substitution in the 90th minute, with Jordan Rhodes on for Teemu Pukki, followed by Timm Klose for Hernandez and Mario Vrancic for Emi Buendia. 


Advertisement block