Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under-18s win after a fantastic display at Colney

9 March 2019

Norwich City’s Under-18s score four late goals to give them a much deserved three-points against Aston Villa at Colney Training Centre.

Both sides had their fair share of chances in the first half, but the teams were separated at the break after Mehmeti’s strike in the 35th minute.

City extended their lead with 15 minutes to play when Tom Dickson-Peters slotted a penalty home. Five minutes later Mehmeti bagged his second of the game before Dickson-Peters put City four ahead after a wonderful effort from distance. Olopade capped off a fine performance from the Under-18s after scoring City’s fifth in stoppage time.

Billy Johnson started in-goal for the Canaries, replacing Daniel Barden who dropped to the bench. Ethen Vaughan remained at right-back, with Atli Barkarson returning from injury on the left-side of defence. Ante Berkeley partnered Andrew Omobamidele to complete the back line against the Claret and Blue.

Nelson Khumbeni started in the centre-midfield position after impressing as a substitute in last week’s defeat against Arsenal, and he was joined by Denzelle Olopade. Josh Giurgi and Tony Springett started as the attacking midfielders, with Anis Mehmeti featuring alongside Kole Lambert up front.

The first chance of the game fell for Mehmeti seven minutes into the game, after the forward found himself striking a loose ball just outside the six-yard box, but his scuffed effort didn’t trouble Akos Onodi who collected with ease.

City started to dominate the opening exchanges after Springett’s wonderful curling through ball over the top of the Villa defence found Lambert, but his chipped shot on goal was caught by the Villa ‘keeper.

Moments later Barkarson was causing havoc on the left. First, he received the ball following a free kick, but his shot was driven across the face of goal before eventually getting cleared away from danger.

However, City went on the attack straight away with Barkarson powering into a bit of space on the left before sending in a cross to the near post, but Onodi was able to get a firm hand to the ball before Lambert could get his toe on it.

Mid-way through the first half Johnson was called into action twice in quick succession. 22 minutes in Johnson got down to his left to make a fine diving save to deny a free-kick from the edge of the area. Two minutes later the City ‘keeper make a smart stop after Farr’s shot from close range.

Ten minutes later Johnson is called into action once again, this time the City ‘keeper made a fantastic block with his legs following a first time effort from Tait inside Norwich’s penalty area.

Three minutes later the Canaries took the lead. Lambert managed to nick the ball off the Villa ‘keeper before Barkarson squared it to Mehmeti , who was given the space and time to stoke the ball into the back of the Villa net.

Villa very nearly equalised just before the half-time whistle, when Guy’s hopeful effort from around 40-yards gave Johnson a scare. But the City ’keeper did well to get across goal and tip the ball onto the bar, before gathering at the second attempt.

City dominated the opening period of the second, with their first chance coming 50 minutes in when a bouncing ball saw Lambert produce an audacious effort from the edge of the Villa box, but his overhead kick was caught.

Moments later, following a corner, the ball fell nicely for Giurgi on the edge of the area but the midfielder failed to direct his first-time effort on target, with the ball narrowly going over the top of the cross bar.

Mid-way through the second half the game started to become really scrappy due to a short spell of high wind and rain which made a huge impact on the game.

With 25 minutes to go, Johnson was forced into making a wonderful diving save to keep out Tait’s shot from distance which looked to be going into the top right hand corner, but the City ‘keeper got his finger tips on the ball to keep it out.

City extended their led with around 15 minutes left on the clock. City were awarded a penalty, which was then put in by substitute Dickson-Peters who slotted home his second penalty in the space of a week.

City started to take control of the game, and went three goals ahead with seven minutes to play after Mehmeti grabbed his second of the game with a right footed shot from inside the Villa penalty area.

Moments later, Dickson Peters extended City’s lead to four when the striker tried his luck from distance. His shot found the top right-hand corner of the Villa goal to put the game out of reach the reach o any come back from the away side.

Olopade capped off a fine City display with the last kick of the game after forcing Vaughan’s low cross from the right home.


City’s Starting XI: Johnson; Vaughan, Omobamidele, Berkeley, Barkarson, Olopade, Khumbeni, Springett, Giurgi (Keller 74), Lambert (Dickson-peters 68), Mehmeti

Unused Subs: Barden (GK), Richardson, Ahamdi

Advertisement block