Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Three points and a clean sheet! City beat Everton 2-0

23 November 2019

Norwich City's long-awaited third Premier League win came by way of a 2-0 victory against Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Following a first half of few chances, Todd Cantwell gave the Canaries the lead in the 54th minute, slotting cooly into the bottom right corner having been played in on goal by Teemu Pukki.

A nervous end to the game was wrapped up nicely when Dennis Srbeny doubled City's lead in stoppage time, keeping the Norwich fans in full voice and giving them three points to take on the 374 miles back to Norfolk.

The headline team news saw fit-again Christoph Zimmermann drafted straight back into the starting XI. Sam Byram replaced the injured Jamal Lewis at left-back, whilst Todd Cantwell replaced Emiliano Buendia, who was on the bench for the first time in the current league campaign.

City started the game well, controlling much of the early possession as the home crowd became increasingly nervy.

The game’s first attempt on goal of any significance came when Onel Hernandez slalomed around a couple of blue shirts in the right channel before seeing a shot well held by Jordan Pickford.

Up the other end Cenk Tosun dragged a low effort across the face of goal after and the ball had ricocheted his way following a cross from the right flank.

It took until the half-hour mark for the game’s first clear-cut chance.

A clever slide-rule pass from McLean released Hernandez, who accelerated away from Yerry Mina only to see a low shot repelled by a strong right glove of Pickford.

With the wind in their sails City ended the half on top.

On 40 minutes Cantwell arrived at the back post to meet Hernandez’s cross, before controlling and seeing a shot deflect onto a covering Schneiderlin and over the bar.

Byram was next to go close, firing over after combining with Hernandez down the left side.

Immediately after the restart City were forced to weather a ten-minute period of Everton pressure.

But Daniel Farke’s hit back in sensational fashion to open the scoring on 55 minutes.

Teemu Pukki superbly held the ball up 30 yards from goal, attracting the attentions of Everton’s central defensive duo. After bundling through a couple of tackles the Finland international poked the ball into the path of Cantwell, who composed himself before coolly finishing into the bottom corner.

Buoyed by the opener, Norwich kept their foot on the gas and went in search of the second, though an unmarked Byram could only head wide from six yards out following a set piece routine.

Marco Silva rang the changes for the home side and despite plenty of huff and puff, struggled to cause any major problems for a City backline expertly marshalled by Zimmermann and Ben Godfrey until minute 75.

And it was Tim Krul who came to the rescue, with two smart saves inside the space of a hectic three-minute period.

Gylfi Sigurdsson was first denied following sub Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s clever knock-down before the Dutch ‘keeper was alert to keep out Cenk Tosun’s effort from the right channel.

Thankfully for City, the introduction of Dennis Srbeny paid dividends in stoppage time, the striker doubling Norwich's lead with a strong and calm finish into the bottom left corner.

Everton: Pickford, Holgate, Richarlison, Sigurdsson (c), Walcott (Calvert-Lewin 65), Digne, Mina, Tosun, Schneiderlin (Iwobi 56), Sidibe (Coleman 65), Davies
Substitutes not used: Lossl, Keane, Kean, Baningime
Bookings: Schneiderlin 20

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Byram, Godrey, Zimmermann, Hernandez, Cantwell (Buendia 80), Trybull, Pukki, McLean, Tettey (c)
Substitutes not used: Fahrmann, Roberts, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Amadou, Srbeny
Goals: Cantwell 55, Srbeny 92
Bookings: Zimmermann 23, Byram 47

Referee: Anthony Taylor
Kick off time: 3pm
Venue: Goodison Park
HT: 0-0

Advertisement block