Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Academy News

U21s suffer Trophy defeat in Portsmouth

14 September 2019

Portsmouth put Norwich Under-21s future in the Trophy in doubt with a 3-1 win over the Canaries at Fratton Park on Saturday.

Norwich now have to hope that Crawley Town take points off of Oxford United on Tuesday November 12 to stand a chance of qualifying for the tournament's round of 32, assuming they get a result against Crawley themselves on Tuesday October 1.

Goals from Ellis Harrison and Josh Flint gave Pompey a deserved lead going into the half-time break, with David Wright's side struggling to create any chances inside the 18-yard box the first period. Harrison got his brace with half an hour to play, while Thomas Scully netted a consolation goal off the bench for City.

Portsmouth started the game on the front foot, Harrison volleying wide from James Bolton's cross, and Oli Hawkins heading wide from Andy Cannon's.

The home side had a third chance inside the first ten minutes, Harrison playing a one-two with Eoin Teggart before heading a shot at straight at Archie Mair. 

Portsmouth made the early pressure count on the tenth minute, Harrison involved again as a Teggart cross from the left wing was headed back across goal by Leon Maloney. Harrison nodded the ball past Mair from close-range for 1-0.

In a half of few chances for the Canaries, Aidan Fitzpatrick had a fair share, shooting wide from distance on the 15th minute. He came closer with similar efforts from range in the 30th and 32nd minutes, but neither were able to trouble Alex Bass.

Mair was called into action again, this time to prevent an attempted clearance from Jordan Thomas being volleyed into his own net. With half-time beckoning, Mair produced another impressive save, stretching to his right to punch a corner clear.

Right on the brink of the break, Pompey doubled their lead through a goal not dissimilar to their first. Teggart darted down the left-wing and lifted a cross to Harrison at the far post. He nodded it back into the danger area to Flint, who saw his effort from close range saved brilliantly by Mair, but the rebound fell to Flint who smashed home for 2-0.

JPNS_Pompey_Norwich_21_140919_005 Cropped.jpg

Following a quite start to the second half, Harrison gave City a mountain to climb when he picked out the bottom right corner from close range, having been played through on goal by Flint.

Norwich weren't about to accept the defeat, and it was Scully, on as a second half substitute, who pulled one back for the Canaries with a precise, powerful strike inside the 18-yard box midway through the second half.

Back up the other end, Mair made yet another impressive stop, denying another headed effort from Harrison from close range to keep Norwich in the game. There was just enough time for another fine save from Mair in stoppage time, using his feet to deny John Marquis inside the box.

But there was no sign of a comeback from City, and Portsmouth saw out their second win of the Trophy group stage, with Ben Close's shot over the crossbar the final action in the match.

Portsmouth: Bass, Bolton, Hawkins, Raggett, Hancott, Walkes, Cannon, Maloney (Williams 70), Flint (Close 72), Teggart (Marquis 76), Harrison (C)
Subs not used: McGee, Burgess, Downing, Pitman
Goals: Harrison (10, 61), Flint (44)

Norwich U21s: Mair, Thomas, Jones (Omobamidele 72), Famewo (C), Nizet, Milovanovic, McAlear, Fitzpatrick, Ahadme (Scully 61), Adshead, Thorvaldsson (Hondermarck 84)
Subs not used: Johnson, Parsons
Goals: Scully (68)
Bookings: Milovanovic (37)

Referee: Brett Huxtable
Kick off time: 12.30pm
Venue: Fratton Park
Attendance: 2,855 (7 away)
HT: 2-0

Advertisement block