Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Martin and Aarons strike late as City come from behind to beat Sheffield Wednesday

5 December 2020

Josh Martin and Max Aarons struck late goals as Norwich City came from behind to record a 2-1 victory over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, in front of 2,000 spectators at Carrow Road.

City enjoyed plenty of territory and possession but found it difficult to break a resolutely Owls' side down for the majority of the game.

Instead, it was the visitors to took the lead on the hour mark when Josh Windass headed home a Adam Reach cross.

However, with City looking short of ideas for a route back into the match, Martin came off the bench to prod the ball home for the equaliser on 81 minutes.

Moments later, Aarons netted his first of the season as City completed an incredible revival to take all three points.

Daniel Farke made two changes to the side beaten at Luton Town on Wednesday night with Teemu Pukki, returning from injury, and Mario Vrancic coming into the eleven to replace Josh Martin and Alex Tettey who both dropped to the bench.

The first-half was largely uneventful, with City dominating the ball but finding their opponents difficult to break down. Their best chance came within four minutes of the first whistle - Emi Buendia fizzed a low ball to Jacob Sorensen in space on the left side of the penalty area. He struck straight at Owls goalkeeper Joseph Wildsmith who fumbled but Pukki's ball back into danger was booted clear.

Wednesday's threat early doors was restricted to set pieces and they went close to opening the scoring on nine minutes - Julian Borner flicked a Barry Bannan corner on at the near post and, luckily for the Canaries, Marco Stiepermann was there to head the ball off the line.

On 23 minutes, Pukki curled an effort straight at Wildsmith from distance before, at the other end, Bannan volleyed straight at McGovern - a goal before half-time was looking unlikely.

Tom Lees struck from distance on 38 minutes but his effort was always bending away from goal before City were awarded a free-kick in typical Vrancic territory four minutes later. The Bosnian playmaker, who scored from a similar position the last time the two sides met back in April 2019, curled just over the crossbar with his left foot on this occasion.

The pattern resumed early in the second-half - plenty of City possession but no real threat on the visiting goal.

Wednesday took one of their rare opportunities on the hour mark. A pinpoint Adam Reach delivered was on a plate for Windass who guided a header home from close range, to give them the lead.

City struggled even more from then on, as Wednesday retreated even further - the substitution of Windass for Liam Palmer outlining that on 66 minutes.

They were a threat on the counter, too, as City threw extra men forward. Kadeem Harris twice had penalty appeals waved away before substitute Joey Pelupessy shot straight at McGovern when he should have done better.

Farke brought Martin on with just over ten minutes to play and the change had an instant effect. Vrancic slid a delightful pass in behind the Wednesday defence and Martin was there to poke the ball beyond Wildsmith to get City back into the game.

Vrancic was the architect once again moments later, feeding Aarons in the area to fire the ball into the far corner, completing a remarkable turnaround from the home side.

The closing stages weren't without drama, as Paterson guided a header wide in stoppage time and City went close to adding to their lead, with Pukki and Buendia firing just wide.

But City held on to three points and a return to the summit of the Sky Bet Championship.

Norwich City: McGovern (GK), Aarons, Hanley (c), Vrancic (Omotoye, 90+4), Placheta (Tettey, 88), Buendia, Stiepermann (Martin, 78), Sorensen, Skipp, Pukki, Gibson
Subs not used: Barden (GK), Zimmermann, McAlear, Omobamidele, Dickson-Peters
Goals: Martin (81), Aarons (84)
Bookings: Skipp (78)
Red cards: None

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith (GK), Van Aken, Paterson, Harris, Bannan (c), Reach, Borner, Lees, Windass (Palmer, 66), Odubajo, Iorfa (Pelupessy, 53)
Subs not used: Dawson (GK), Penney, Dele-Bashiru, Rhodes, Brown, Hunt, Kachunga
Goals: Windass (60)
Bookings: Odubajo (22), Borner (70)
Red cards: None

HT: 0-0
Venue: Carrow Road
Attendance: 2,000
Referee: Jarred Gilbert

Advertisement block