Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City into fifth round with win at Burnley

25 January 2020

Two goals in the space of four second-half minutes goals saw Norwich City comfortably ease beyond Burnley and into the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup.

On his return to Lancashire ex-Blackburn man Grant Hanley powered home a header from Mario Vrancic’s free kick early in the second half.

And moments later Josip Drmic was alert to convert from close range following another clever interchange involving Vrancic and Lukas Rupp.

Over the piece goalscoring chances were plentiful for both sides, and despite Burnley halving the deficit through an Erik Pieters volley, few would have argued that City were deserved winners at Turf Moor.

The headline team news saw Drmic in for his first start in yellow, with Ralf Fahrmann also given the nod from the off. January signing Rupp retained his place in the starting team following the midweek Premier League defeat at Tottenham.

And inside the opening ten seconds it was Drmic who came within a whisker of opening the scoring.

Lukas Rupp toe poked the ball away from Erik Pieters, with Drmic alive and suddenly in the clear only to fire low and wide of Joe Hart’s left post.

Norwich controlled much of the early possession, but Burnley did come close when Chris Wood escaped the attentions of the backline. The New Zealander scampered into the left channel and pulled the ball back for an onrushing Jay Rodriguez, whose point-blank effort was superbly kept out by Fahrmann.

Fahrmann was also alert to repel ex-Norwich man Robbie Brady’s low effort from range, as the home began to threaten.

But the best chance of the opening half was wonderfully crafted by the Canaries on 15 minutes.

A slick City move saw Vrancic ghost beyond a Burnley midfielder before slipping a neat ball to Drmic, who then swiftly released the overlapping Sam Byram. With the outside of his boot, Byram curled beyond the goalkeeper only to see James Tarkowski clear from under his own crossbar.

Onel Hernandez and Rupp both then stung the palms of Hart with testing strikes from distance, as City continued to carve out opportunities in front of goal.

Burnley also posed a notable threat in the final third. Tarkowski headed against the bar from a corner kick before Brady fired low and wide of the post from 18 yards out.

On the stroke of half time Drmic shot wide from the right channel after the hosts had initially failed to clear following a darting infield run from Hernandez.

And within ten minutes of the restart Norwich finally made their pressure pay with a quickfire double.

Vrancic was at the heart of both goals. The Bosnian first flighted a set piece into the Burnley penalty area, with skipper Hanley rising high above Kevin Long and powering a header beyond a rooted Hart.

And just three minutes later the lead was doubled.

Vrancic clipped a clever ball over the Burnley defence and into Rupp, whose instinctive effort was pawed away by Hart but only as far as Drmic, who converted into an empty net from just yards out.

Stiepermann then fired wide after combining with Rupp, as City continued to pour forward.

Burnley had a route back into the game on 72 minutes, when Pieters crashed home a volley after City had failed to clear a loose ball.

But City maintained possession well from there on in and much to the frustration of the home crowd were able to see the game out.

Burnley: Hart, Lowton, Tarkowski, Long, Pieters, Lennon, Westwood, Cork (C) (Hendrick, 65), Brady (McNeil, 80), Wood (Vydra, 65), Rodriguez
Unused substitutes: Peacock-Farrell, Taylor, Dunne, Goodridge
Booked: Long (68)
Goal: Pieters (72)

Norwich City: Fahrmann, Byram, Hanley (C), Zimmermann, Rupp, Vrancic, Hernandez (McLean, 84), Lewis, Stiepermann (Duda, 80), Trybull, Drmic
Unused substitutes: McGovern, Aarons, Pukki, Tettey, Martin
Booked: Stiepermann (18), Zimmermann (44), Hanley (71)
Goals: Hanley (53), Drmic (57)

Half time: 0-0
Venue: Turf Moor
Referee: Michael Oliver
Attendance: 8071 (776 visiting fans)

Advertisement block