Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City defeated at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

22 January 2020

Norwich City were cruelly denied a share of the spoils, falling to a late defeat against Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night.

Teemu Pukki’s second penalty in as many games had levelled the scores midway through the second half following Dele Alli’s first half opener.

But late in the piece Son Heung-Min nodded home after a fortuitous deflected shot had looped into his path on what was a rare Spurs attack in the second half.

There were few inside the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium who would have argued against the Canaries earning a point, but ultimately it was a night of frustration in the capital.

Daniel Farke made two enforced changes to the starting line-up that had previously defeated AFC Bournemouth at Carrow Road.

There was a full debut for January signing Lukas Rupp, who replaced the injured Emiliano Buendia. Grant Hanley was in for the suspended Ben Godfrey.

The hosts started with a real tempo, with Erik Lamela seeing an early warning shot from a Serge Aurier cross well saved by Tim Krul.

But on 15 minutes City carved out their first meaningful chance of the contest.

A slick passing move culminated with a clever give and go between Todd Cantwell and Teemu Pukki on the edge of the Spurs box, with the latter curling an effort marginally wide.

Tottenham continued to control much of the possession, but City were stubborn at the back and picked their moments in attack.

Cantwell whistled an effort from the edge of the area wide of the angle of post and bar after Spurs had failed to clear an Ondrej Duda corner kick.

On the half-hour Son latched onto Lucas Moura’s slide rule before firing into the side netting.

Just as it seemed an even opening half would end goalless, Spurs broke the deadlock after capitalising on a quick turnover of possession.

Son slipped a pass into Aurier, whose low cross from the right channel was turned home from six yards by Alli.

Seconds prior to the half time whistle City worked arguably their clearest opening of the contest.

Neat interplay down the right side saw Max Aarons fire a low ball into Pukki, who controlled in the area before teeing up Rupp. The German struck his first-time shot wide of the far post.

And that City momentum continued at the start of the second period.

cantwell match report.jpg

Pukki fired wide from 18 yards following a clever reverse pass from Duda, before Spurs scrambled clear from their own goalmouth after a move that saw City superbly sweep the ball from right to left.

Norwich continued to control much of the play and were deservedly handed a route back into the game from the penalty spot on 68 minutes.

Aarons was upended by Ryan Sessegnon after surging on to another clever Duda pass. After a lengthy VAR check the penalty was given. Pukki stepped up to coolly convert, low to Lloris’ left.

It was one-way traffic, but against the run of play Spurs edged back in front.

Alli’s shot deflected off Christoph Zimmermann over the head of Krul and into the path of Son at the back post, who arrived to nod into an empty net.

It was a cruel blow for City, who continued to pile men forward in search of a second equaliser, but to no avail, Rupp's shot from distance deflecting wide with ten minutes remaining.

Six minutes of stoppage time were added after 90 minutes, but there was no way back into the game for Daniel Farke's side.

Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris (C), Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Son, Winks (Dier 56'), Lamela (Eriksen 62'), Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Alli, Aurier, Moura
Unused substitutes: Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Ndombele, Fernandes, Tanganga\
Goals: Alli (38'), Son (79')

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Byram, Hanley (C), Zimmermann, Rupp (Drmic 86'), Cantwell, Pukki, McLean (Stiepermann 93'), Duda, Tettey (Hernandez 82')
Unused substitutes: McGovern, Lewis, Trybull, Amadou,
Goals: Pukki (71')

HT: 1-0
Venue: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
KO time: 7.30pm
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Attendance: 58,182

Advertisement block