Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Nine-man City beaten by Burnley

18 July 2020

Norwich City were beaten 2-0 by Burnley in their final home game of the 2019-20 season on Saturday evening.

The Canaries had a mountain to climb in the second half, after the first 45 ended with Emiliano Buendia and Josip Drmic both being sent off and Chris Wood giving Burnley the lead.

A Ben Godfrey own goal then put the result beyond doubt, Burnley taking all three points back to Lancashire.

Daniel Farke made one change to the side that started Tuesday’s 1-0 defeat to Chelsea, Buendia replacing Lukas Rupp in midfield.

Christoph Zimmermann returned to the bench after a long-term injury, while academy graduate Akin Famewo was deemed eligible for squad selection by the Premier League.

Norwich looked more dangerous during the game’s opening exchanges, particularly from Buendia’s corners. His first was volleyed by Todd Cantwell but blocked by James Tarkwowski, before City had a good chance to take the lead in the 19th minute.

Buendia’s corner met the head of Godfrey, who connected cleanly, but Nick Pope swung his right arm up to push the ball away, albeit only as far as Alexander Tettey whose volley was clipped wide by Tarkowski.

The Clarets also had a couple of half-chances prior to the first half drinks break, Dwight McNeil and Jay Rodriguez both cutting in from the left to send shots wide and high respectively from distance.

Given that Buendia looked like City’s most creative asset during the first half, it was a sucker punch when the home side were reduced to ten men in the 35th minute, Kevin Friend showing Buendia a red card for an elbow on Ashley Westwood after a lengthy VAR check.

Burnley immediately sought to take advantage, Rodriguez coming close as he linked up with his fellow striker Wood before shooting towards the bottom left corner from distance, but Tim Krul was equal to it.

Krul pulled off a more impressive save moments later, showing great reflexes to put a McNeil free-kick over the crossbar after it had taken a deflection via Onel Hernandez in the City wall.

The comeback was made even more difficult when City were reduced to nine men on the brink of half-time, Drmic seeing red for a late challenge on Erik Pieters.

The situation became even worse in the fifth minute of stoppage time at the end of the first half, as Wood overhead kicked a Johann Berg Gudmundsson cross into the bottom left corner to give Burnley the lead at half-time.

Buendia friend.jpg

Daniel Farke made one substitution at half-time, Zimmermann replacing Timm Klose, before Pieters tested Krul with a shot from distance, the former’s shot too narrow to cause danger, Krul tipping it over the bar.

As most would expect, Burnley dominated possession during the second half, relentlessly assaulting the Norwich City goal, Krul saving brilliantly in the 67th minute to deny Rodriguez from doubling Burnley’s lead when his close range effort took a nick off Zimmermann.

Pieters continued to look lively down the left and had a sight of goal in the 74th minute, but Zimmermann threw himself in front of the ball to make the block and concede a corner which Tarkowski headed wide.

Rupp then replaced Cantwell as City hunted for an equaliser with 15 minutes to go.

City had salt rubbed into the wounds in the 81st minute, as a Pieters cross was miscontrolled into his own net by Godfrey, giving the away side a 2-0 lead.

Hernandez forced an unorthodox save from Pope in the 84th minute, who reacted to a deflected shot to keep hold of the clean sheet.

Adam Idah came on for Hernandez and Mario Vrancic for Tettey in the game's dying embers, but City were unable to find a way back into the game, Krul making another couple of saves to keep the goals conceded down to two.

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Godfrey, Klose (Zimmermann 46’), Lewis, Tettey (c) (Vrancic 90+3'), McLean, Cantwell (Rupp 76’), Buendia, Hernandez (Idah 86'), Drmic
Subs not used: McGovern, Famewo, Martin, Stiepermann, Pukki
Sent off: Buendia (35’), Drmic (45+3’)

Burnley: Pope, Bardsley, Tarkowski, Mee, Pieters, Gudmundsson (Brady 60’), Brownhill, Westwood, McNeil, Wood (Vydra 79’), Rodriguez
Subs not used: Peacock-Farrell, Thompson, Dunne, Benson, Goodridge, Glennon, Mumbongo
Goals: Wood (45+5’), Godfrey OG (81')

HT: 0-1
Venue: Carrow Road
Referee: Kevin Friend

Advertisement block