Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City suffer home defeat to Everton

24 June 2020

Norwich City were beaten 1-0 by Everton in the Premier League on Wednesday evening thanks to Michael Keane's second half header.

Daniel Farke made four changes to the starting eleven from Friday's 3-0 defeat to Southampton, Alexander Tettey, Lukas Rupp, Ondrej Duda and Onel Hernandez coming in for Tom Trybull, Emi Buendia, Todd Cantwell and Teemu Pukki.

Everton looked dominant with the ball during the game's opening exchanges, but it wasn't until the 18th minute when City had the first real chance of the match, Hernandez cutting in from the left wing to see a shot deflected just past the post after being played through by Rupp.

The visitors responded with another half-chance, Michael Keane picking out Dominic Calvert-Lewin with an aerial pass forward. The latter took it down with his chest, before turning inside and shooting at goal, but the effort was too soft and slow to trouble Tim Krul.

Duda was next to pose a threat, twisting and turning Mason Holgate before being brought down for a free-kick just outside the 18-yard box. The Slovakian stepped up for the set-piece duties, but saw his free-kick hit the wall.

The final third of the first half looked as though it would peter out with neither side forging real, clear-cut chances to make the breakthrough, until Rupp forced Jordan Pickford to dive to his right with a powerful strike from distance. The England number one's stop fell to Hernandez, who saw his follow-up blocked.

hern v ev.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti made one change at half-time, Gylfi Sigurdsson coming on to replace Tom Davies.

That substitution made an impact ten minutes into the second half, Sigurdsson's corner giving the away side the lead when Keane directed it into the far post with his head.

Moments later, Calvert-Lewin had a sight of goal, following a few step overs with a shot from distance that forced Krul into parrying the ball over the crossbar. The Dutchman cleared the resulting corner.

Tettey had a chance to equalise in the 66th minute, his long-range strike deflected wide by Sigurdsson before a VAR check took place for serious foul play by Kenny McLean on Lucas Digne, but nothing was given.

Calvert-Lewin headed wide from an Alex Iwobi cross in the 68th minute, the Everton frontman continuing to demonstrate his threat in front of goal.

The Canaries needed to make a change, and Daniel Farke duly obliged, introducing Pukki and Buendia in place of Duda and Rupp respecitvely in the 71st minute.

Buendia almost made an instant impression, a free-kick of his being scooped just past the post by Andre Gomes, but the following corner was wasted by City.

78 minutes in, Buendia played a lovely one-two with Pukki before rounding Pickford, but the Everton defence forced the Argentine wide and the chance was gone.

More changes followed, Adam Idah and Mario Vrancic coming on for Hernandez and Tettey, with Cantwell replacing Jamal Lewis in the game's dying embers, but the desired effect of goals for Norwich City didn't come.

Adam Idah turned on the edge of the box with the ball in the first of six minutes of stoppage time, but his effort deflected wide and Everton dealt with the following corner before seeing out the three points.

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis (Cantwell 87'), Tettey (C) (Vrancic 79'), McLean, Rupp (Buendia 71'), Hernandez (Idah 79'), Duda (Pukki 71'), Drmic
Unused substitutes: McGovern, Trybull, Leitner, Stiepermann

Everton: Pickford, Coleman, Keane, Holgate, Digne, Iwobi, Andre Gomes, Davies (Sigurdsson 46'), Bernard (Baines 87'), Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison (Kean 79')
Unused substitutes:
Stekelenburg, Virginia, Cuco Martina, Baningime, Branthwaite

Referee: Andy Madley
Venue: Carrow Road
HT: 0-0

Advertisement block