Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Another Vrancic winner secures 2-1 victory over Wycombe

24 October 2020

Mario Vrancic once again scored a late winner to give Norwich City all three points against Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

Daniel Farke named an unchanged starting 11 and bench from Tuesday night's 1-0 win at home to Birmingham City.

His faith was re-paid instantly, as Emi Buendia put Pukki through on goal to give City the lead inside just three minutes with a delicately lofted shot beyond Ryan Allsopp.

Pukki had another chance moments later, shooting wide with his left foot from inside the 18-yard box.

Despite a daunting opening period for Wycombe, Gareth Ainsworth's side responded with an equaliser in the 13th minute, Kashket latching onto and beating Tim Krul to a loose ball for 1-1.

Pukki continued to be involved in City's attacks, volleying wide at the far post from a Xavi Quintilla cross in the 26th minute as Norwich looked to re-gain their lead.

Quintilla's next delivery came five minutes later, Jordan Hugill on the receiving end with a header over the bar from the Spaniard's corner.

The visitors looked a danger from a set-piece when Anthony Stewart headed just over the bar from a free-kick that had been put back across goal in the 33rd minute, before Kashket headed into the side netting from a Daryl Horgan cross.

Todd Cantwell almost stole the headlines with a spectacular effort shortly before half-time, volleying wide of the post first-time after picking up a stray Wycombe clearance.

hugill header.jpg

Cantwell again had an inviting chance early in the second half, a Quintilla free-kick coming out to the number 14, but his effort was dragged wide of the post as the angle narrowed.

Lukas Rupp was next to come close, having a shot deflected over the bar after receiving the ball from Cantwell inside the 18-yard box.

After coming on as a substitute with just over half an hour remaining, Adam Idah almost made an instant impact. Picking up the ball from Quintilla on the left, Idah opened his body up to shoot for the far corner, forcing Allsopp into a good save down to his left.

Stewart almost put the ball in his own net from a Quintilla cross in the 67th minute, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw his connection fly over the bar.

Both sides had decent chances to take the lead with around 20 minutes remaining, Fred Onyedinma shooting wide for Wycombe and Allsopp saving from Pukki at the near post.

City then had a flurry of efforts, Cantwell forcing another save from Allsopp, Mario Vrancic seeing a shot blocked and Grant Hanley having a header cleared off the line.

Buendia dragged a shot wide with ten minutes to go after Vrancic held the ball up for his run, as City looked more likely to get a late winner.

Adam Idah shot over the bar from distance as City continued to hunt for a late winner.

With just minutes remaining, Vrancic won Norwich a free-kick in an inviting position. He duly stepped up and curled it into the top right corner perfectly for 2-1.

Before the full-time whistle, Idah was shown a red card for a late foul.

Norwich City: Krul, Aarons, Hanley (C), Gibson, Quintilla, Rupp (Placheta 86'), Skipp (Vrancic 69'), Buendia, Pukki, Cantwell, Hugill (Idah 59')

Subs not used: McGovern, McLean, Martin, Tettey

Goals: Pukki (3'), Vrancic (90+1')

Yellows: Gibson (15')

Reds: Idah (90+5')

Wycombe Wanderers: Allsop, Grimmer, Jacobson (C), Stewart, Knight, Adeniran, Thompson, Wheeler, Onyedinma, Horgan (Bloomfield (84'), Kashket (Ikpeazu 69')

Subs not used: Stockdale, Phillips, Akinfenwa, Samuel, Mehmeti

Goals: Kasket (13')

Yellows: Onyedinma (45+3')

Referee: Gavin Ward

Advertisement block